Icing Smiles

Lounge By mplaidgirl2 Updated 18 Aug 2011 , 2:28pm by dchockeyguy

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 12:08am
post #1 of 15

Just wondering how many of you are signed up with this charity.. I got my first assignment today and I'm super excited to bake a cake for the family.

This is thier mission statement
Icing Smiles is a non profit organization that provides custom celebration cakes and other treats to families impacted by critical illness of a child. We understand that the simple things, like a birthday cake, are luxuries to a family battling illness. Our goal is to create a custom cake for the ill child or their sibling that will provide a temporary escape from worry and create a positive memory during a difficult time.

http://www.icingsmiles.org/Site/Welcome.html

14 replies
traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 12:21am
post #2 of 15

I tried to sign up, but they're not in my area. icon_sad.gif

q2wheels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
q2wheels Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 12:30am
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by traci_doodle

I tried to sign up, but they're not in my area. icon_sad.gif

I didn't think Icing Smiles has areas that they don't serve, in fact, they just got a new volunteer and now have baking partners in all 50 of the states and they just went international. I just signed up and don't recall reading anything like that.

Sherry1030 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry1030 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 12:45am
post #4 of 15

I just got my first call too - its for a little boy's first birthday next month. They requested a Mickey Mouse theme - I'm so excited!!

olleharr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olleharr Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 12:52am
post #5 of 15

Icing Smiles is a wonderful organization and they need bakers everywhere! I just did my very first dream cake a couple months ago for Icing Smiles and a sweet little boy named Jimmie. It was an amazing experience. I posted it on here a while back; http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2072780 You can see Jimmie's reaction to his cake on my blog.

mplaidgirl2 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 1:36am
post #6 of 15

The family i got only speaks Spanish so I have to have my husband call them tomorrow to see exactly what they want. But I'm ready to make an insane cake no matter what they ask for! I'm very excited!
olleharr your cake is amazing!

Everyone go sign up with ICing Smiles!

TerrBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TerrBear Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 4:27am
post #7 of 15

I just got my first call to action, too. I get to make 2nd birthday Blues Clues cake at the end of the month! So excited!

mplaidgirl2 Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 8:16pm
post #8 of 15

I love that I can give back doing something I love to do

Sara_Bee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sara_Bee Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 7:10pm
post #9 of 15

I got my first Call To Action a few weeks ago for a little boy's birthday in September. I can't wait!

susancann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susancann Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 2:45am
post #10 of 15

They had people at ICES all week explaning what they do. I think they made a good impression with everyone they spoke with.
They had several "Name" decorators pinned in a corner selling their mission to them. As soon as new shop building is complete we will be joining them also.

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 6:44pm
post #11 of 15

I did a cake for Icing Smiles back in April. It's the pirate ship cake in my gallery. It was a very worthwhile experience.

DerrellC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DerrellC Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 3:49am
post #12 of 15

Question, I noticed that one baker said the family they were making a cake for,requested a "Mickey Mouse" cake. How would this be effected by copywrite laws ? Is the fact that they are giving the cake free allow them not be liable for copywrite infringement ?
I'm sure this will be a concern,because a lot of young kids all know,and want Mickey,Thomas the Train, Elmo, etc ...

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 11:35am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrellC

Question, I noticed that one baker said the family they were making a cake for,requested a "Mickey Mouse" cake. How would this be effected by copywrite laws ? Is the fact that they are giving the cake free allow them not be liable for copywrite infringement ?
I'm sure this will be a concern,because a lot of young kids all know,and want Mickey,Thomas the Train, Elmo, etc ...

You know, I thought about this, too. I just got my acceptance letter today (and I'm thrilled), and I might ask them about it.

I would think that this is something Icing Smiles already has worked out. I mean, they're cakes for critically ill (if not terminal) children, for crying out loud. I would hope that in the spirit of simple human decency, the copyright holders could make exceptions for this particular cause.

Just my two cents, FWIW...

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:47pm
post #14 of 15

Just deleting a duplicate post, no idea why it posted twice... icon_redface.gif

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:28pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrellC

You know, I thought about this, too. I just got my acceptance letter today (and I'm thrilled), and I might ask them about it.

I would think that this is something Icing Smiles already has worked out. I mean, they're cakes for critically ill (if not terminal) children, for crying out loud. I would hope that in the spirit of simple human decency, the copyright holders could make exceptions for this particular cause.

Just my two cents, FWIW...

I'd be surprised if they had that "all worked out." The variety of cakes that kids want cover such a broad spectrum, there is no way they've talked to that many different companies.

However, you're correct, that they are for sick children, and it's for charity. No one is making any money off of this, so getting a pass might be a little easier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%