Egg Free, Dairy Free Marble Cake?

Baking By BakingChik Updated 3 Aug 2011 , 10:09pm by CupQuequito

BakingChik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingChik Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 7

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have a request for a marble or a vanilla/chocolate layered combo cake for kids who have allergies to dairy and eggs.

I do have a recipe for a vegan chocolate cake but have not tried any vanilla cakes yet.

I heard you could replace eggs with applesauce and any milk for soy milk in the recipes and it would be fine. I tried this on three DH cakes last night and they all just crumbled. icon_cry.gif Tasted great though. This is no good for fondant covered cakes though.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

6 replies
secondbase Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
secondbase Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 7

Replacing the eggs can be the tricky part. I'm vegan, and have found that you have to tweak a regular cake recipe a little to adequately replace the eggs. At any rate, I'm currently on a quest to make the best vegan yellow/white cake known to man. While I haven't quite got it right, there are plenty of good recipes out there. If your chocolate cake recipe is a good one, take out the cocoa powder and up the flour content (you will want to add about half of the amount of cocoa powder, so if it was 1 cup of cocoa, add 1/2 cup flour). HTH

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 7

Have you tried using ener-g egg replacer? It works best with scratch cakes, but I tried it out with a wasc cake and it came out good! Also are they allergic to DAIRY or LACTOSE? Because I've substituted lactose free milk successfully in recipes. For the icing, I've successfully used soy margarine that is lactose-free without any difficulties. Otherwise, your safest bet is to make a vegan cake....

ThreeLittleBlackbirds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeLittleBlackbirds Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 7

Applesauce in place of eggs wont work, as you found out the hard way. Applesauce can be used to replace the oil in a recipe in order to reduce fat and increase moisture, but that's about it icon_sad.gif

You can use an egg replacer, or what I do is use apple cider vinegar. You don't taste it, but scientifically, the vinegar does what eggs do in the recipe.

Typically, vanilla cakes are made with butter not oil, so it can be tough to replicate a fluffy butter cake with a vegan one. I use a combination of unbleached a/p flour and potato starch in order to get a lighter fluffier cake (I actually do this with my regular cakes as well since I hate the chemical taste of cake flour)

Also be sure to use dark or semi-sweet chocolate as milk chocolate contains dairy of course.

BakingChik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingChik Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 7

Thanx everyone!

And I'd love to try your best vanilla vegan cake recipe when you find it!

CupQuequito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupQuequito Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 7

If your confident in your chocolate vegan recipe, just omit the chocolate, add in corn starch. HTH

CupQuequito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupQuequito Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 10:09pm
post #7 of 7

You can also omit the corn starch, and use coconut milk as the thickener. Won't taste like coconut.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%