Double Or Single Layer Cake???

Decorating By vicki-w Updated 3 Aug 2011 , 2:57am by CWR41

vicki-w Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki-w Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:36am
post #1 of 4

Hi Guys, I am looking for some help and advice. I am a novice cake baker, I have made a few Victoria Sponge Cakes and a couple of fondant covered cakes but that is about it.

I am making an Elmo cake for my friends daughters 2nd birthday. I am thinking of doing an 8 inch round with a 6 inch heart on top both covered with fondant.

My question is do you think it would be best to do each cake double layered with filling? Or just single layer cakes with a strawberry jam / butter cream layer under the fondant?

Also is the prepackaged fondant good to use or should I attempt to make my own?

Thanks for the help in advance. icon_smile.gif

3 replies
AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:41am
post #2 of 4

That depends on the hieght you want. My standard tier in 3 layers of cake with 2 layers of filling. If you have never made a multi layered cake before, the best advice is to make sure you level each layer of cake so it is flat before you fill & stack.

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:56am
post #3 of 4

Personally I would make each tier 2 layers each and put the filling between the layers. Be sure to put a dam (thick barrier of buttercream) around the edge of the layer to keep the jam from leaking or bulging. Put a nice layer of buttercream before you apply the fondant. As for prepackaged fondant goes, fondant is not all the same. Please do not waste your money on the Wilton fondant you can by at the local craft store. Satin Ice is a good prepackaged one that can be purchased at your local cake supply store or on line. I know others use different brands but I've only used Satin Ice. Personally I make most of my fondant and use Michelle Foster's recipe here on CC. Good luck!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 2:57am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki-w

My question is do you think it would be best to do each cake double layered with filling? Or just single layer cakes with a strawberry jam / butter cream layer under the fondant?

It depends on the serving goal... double layer if they need 38 servings, single layer if they only need half of that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%