Advice On Cake Pan Sizes

Decorating By Hanhathaway Updated 1 Aug 2011 , 7:27pm by CWR41

Hanhathaway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hanhathaway Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 11

I am making a wedding cake for a friend in the next couple of days that is similar to this one. What pan sizes would you recommend? Thanks so much!

-Hannah

10 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 11

Wow..nice cake but alot of servings....I guess about 316 or more..The small single tier looks to be 8...The stacked look like 10 and 8..The pillared 10 and 8 also but varying heights...The large cake looks to be 12(or 14 base,10 and 6 ontop...I could be wrong...LOL

So I suggest you buy the wilton round set which gives you the 12,10,8 and 6 inch pans and you can use the Michael's 40% off coupon so it isn't so expensive as I gather you probably don't plan to do too many of these size cakes very often...Big job...Good Luck!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 11

What sizes you make would depend on how many servings she needs, and if she is willing to pay for the extra servings to get a large cake, for the visual look of a large cake.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Here's a good chart to go by for serving sizes. icon_smile.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanhathaway

What pan sizes would you recommend?

I'd first find out the serving goal, then adjust by adding or removing tiers as needed.

For this cake, it's easy to see the smaller tiers are all 6" cakes because the pillars are closer together than they would be on larger sizes.
It's a:
[14x10]x6 = 128
[10x8]x6 = 74
8x6 = 36
[8x6] = 36
6 = 12
Total: 286

Hanhathaway Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 11

It needs to serve 300 people. So it looks like all 11 cakes should cover that.

Does anyone know where to buy the pillar sizes it calls for & the fountain?

Thanks everyone for the great input.

Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 5:40pm
post #6 of 11

The fountain and pillars should be available at most Joann's or Michael's craftstores..If not..any cake decorating store usually sells them as they are standard equipment..The pillars are 2 different sizes though...You will also need the large grecian pillars and 18 inch plastic plate that goes with them for the underneath support.That is what holds up the large cake over the fountain..Fountain and pillars are all sold by Wilton.

CWR41 Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 11

The Roman Columns are available in pairs:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E311B28-475A-BAC0-5EB46BC48D2DE36F&killnav=1

no need to purchase a set of six that used to be only available with the 18" fountain plates... now you can order the separate pieces that you want--whichever size plates and 2-pk columns.

Hanhathaway Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 5:59pm
post #8 of 11

To stack cakes like this do you need "plates" that attach to the top and bottom of the cakes to hold them securely?

Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 6:12pm
post #9 of 11

Yes..You will also need plates for the top and bottom of the cakes so that the pillars have something to rest into.

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 6:14pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

What sizes you make would depend on how many servings she needs, and if she is willing to pay for the extra servings to get a large cake, for the visual look of a large cake.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Here's a good chart to go by for serving sizes. icon_smile.gif

This is a GREAT resourse. Thank you for posting this. I always forget to look these up before making a cake and i always make WAY too much. I just made a cake for my best friends daughter. She had a party of 60 people. Perhaps my italian ways... i look at a cake pan and think that's not enough... so i tend to go bigger.

Question, when they say layers, are they counting the layers of cake or filling? I should probably know this already...

CWR41 Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 7:27pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieb

Question, when they say layers, are they counting the layers of cake or filling? I should probably know this already...

Layers=Cakes from 3 to 6 in. high. (If referring to Wilton wedding cake baking time and batter amounts - 2 in. deep pans chart.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%