Royal Icing Flowers On Cake Bible's Whtchoccreamcheese

Decorating By andi462 Updated 1 Aug 2011 , 4:31pm by TexasSugar

andi462 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andi462 Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 4

Hello all... i am doing a wedding cake soon that will have the Cake Bible's recipe for white chocolate cream cheese frosting. I am adding royal icing scrolls. I will need to refrigerate the cake but i dont want to wait until the last minute to add the scrollwork. the royal icing will be black... is there a chance the royal icing is going to bleed? and if so, is there a way to prevent that? what if i do have to wait ... if the frosting is cold, will that effect the cream cheese frosting?

thanks in advance for your help!

3 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 4

I'd plan for a back up plan personally.

I see you are in Texas, so that means humidity out the wazoo! That could cause two problems, one for your black on the white, the other for the royal icing. Humidity causes condensation when you put cakes in the fridge. Condensation/moisture do not get along with royal icing. So I, personally would be afraid of putting the royal on right after the cake came out of the fridge.

Now this weekend, I saw Bronwen do a demo. And she said they put all their cakes in boxes in the fridge, but they also put something in the box to absorb moisture. Desiccant (Silica Gel) packets work for that purpose.

andi462 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andi462 Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks... that's what I was afraid of.... What about if i let it come to room temp beforehand? that should be alright, right? i cant imagine that cream cheese icing is going to spoil in an A/C'd building so quickly... i'm just wondering how long i can keep it out before it goes bad.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 4

I've read from the brand that makes cream cheese that it is good for about 4 hours out of the fridge.

I've also read on here, via a statement Leah_s made, that the food safety hours start from the beginning, even if the cake goes in an out of the fridge during the process, that any time that is it is out of the fridge adds up to the 'safe zone'.

And I have also read that people say depending on the recipes some cream cheese icings are safe out of the fridge. While I can understand how the sugar can preserve any milk or butter used in icing (butter can be left out at room temp on it's own anyway) I'm not sure I personally feel comfortable leaving cream cheese icing out. It just seems like it would have more dairy in it to factor into the ratio of the sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%