50% Payment For Wedding Cake

Decorating By tyty Updated 31 Jul 2011 , 2:00pm by tyty

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 12:53am
post #1 of 13

Just spoke with a bride getting married in Aug. Hubby was supposed to bring full payment today. He said he only had 50% and he would have her to contact me. Bride contacted me with a story about she and hubby were paying all their vendors 50% and they would get the other 50% after they show up and deliver the goods. She said someone had a list of all vendors and will have all checks for each vendor, so just see that person when I arrive. WHAT!
I told her I could not do the cake because I don't do business that way.

12 replies
KakeMistress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakeMistress Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 1:06am
post #2 of 13

I dont blame you I would be livid and tell her the same thing if she didnt come up with the money, I know for a fact that not one vendor would find that acceptable..Just trying to pull a fast one

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 2:02am
post #3 of 13

Hell no.

tyty Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 2:09am
post #4 of 13

I was thinking about trying to work with her at first, but there is no way I would set up a cake and walk away with a check and you eat my cake and your check bounces. I told her I had to be paid in full up front and she said they could not work with me then. They must have another agenda because the wedding is Aug 11th, yes, it's on a Thursday.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 2:16am
post #5 of 13

So, they paid 50% and are willing to lose that money. Oh wait, I think I just heard that check bounce...

tyty Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 2:46am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKing12

So, they paid 50% and are willing to lose that money. Oh wait, I think I just heard that check bounce...

No, they had not paid anything, only the tasting fee. That's why I was expecting full payment.

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 3:02am
post #7 of 13

WOW!! I say that they were going to scam you ( if you did the cake) and only pay you the 50% ,then once they get the cake, complain it wasn't what they wanted, or it was dry or some other excuse where they didn't have to pay you the rest of the money owed!.
Glad you didn't fold!
Jodi icon_smile.gif

tyty Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 3:20am
post #8 of 13

My gut told me this was all wrong. I'm glad I walked away too.

luntus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luntus Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 3:29am
post #9 of 13

what rubbish! I am glad you walked away.

KimLynnC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimLynnC Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 3:39am
post #10 of 13

Well they don't get to decide when to pay you, your policy is your policy. Why do people think its ok to do things like that?
Did she pay for half of her wedding dress ahead of time and then half at the wedding?! I seriously doubt that.

Lili5768 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lili5768 Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 3:42am
post #11 of 13

I agree with everyone, they can't tell you how to run your business! ! Sheeeesh! Some people!!! icon_mad.gif

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 4:27am
post #12 of 13

High-five to you for going with your instincts. You aren't going to get hustled. So proud of you!

tyty Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 2:00pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks fellow cakers, I woke up this morning feeling a whole lot better with that one removed from my book.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%