Cakeboard Message

Decorating By bakemeacake78 Updated 2 Aug 2011 , 9:20am by bakemeacake78

bakemeacake78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakemeacake78 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 15

Hi all,

I need your help. I have a customer who ordered a cake and wants me to place a message underneath the cake (on the cakeboard), so that when her family cuts into the cake the message will be revealed. How would you go about doing this so that the message doesn't get ruined by the cake sitting on it. I thought about using press n' seal to cover it but I was concerned that when the cake was cut that it would also cut through the saran wrap. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks so much!

Sheri

14 replies
Tinacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinacakes Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 15

what about using a clear piece of plexy glass as your cakebord, you can put the writing on the underside

Lili5768 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lili5768 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 3:49pm
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinacakes

what about using a clear piece of plexy glass as your cakebord, you can put the writing on the underside

That's just about the only way I see also...or write the message on the cakeboard then put the plexi glass over that then the cake on top.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 15

There is also clear vinyl at walmart back in the material section, I use it to roll fondant out on, comes on huge rolls, that might work to cover your cake board and should be able to see thru it.

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 15

I am so curious ~ whats the message?!?!

BTW ~ I agree about the vinyl covering the cake board

jenng1482 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 15

Oh yeah! I got ahead of myself and submitted the above post without telling you about a time I did this. I had a feeing that the client was trying to pass my cake off as hers a local charity function. I put my business name and logo under the cake on the board so it would "magically appear" as the cake was consumed

bakemeacake78 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 5:16pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenng1482

Oh yeah! I got ahead of myself and submitted the above post without telling you about a time I did this. I had a feeing that the client was trying to pass my cake off as hers a local charity function. I put my business name and logo under the cake on the board so it would "magically appear" as the cake was consumed

Clever! How did you do it? Did you use plexiglass?

Oh, and the message is that she is pregnant icon_smile.gif

bakemeacake78 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 5:18pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinacakes

Good idea! How would I cut the plexiglass to the cake size?

jenng1482 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 5:25pm
post #9 of 15

I used the clear vinyl from walmart. You can use a drum or a few cardboard circles glued together, cut coordinating fabric in a circle big enough to cover board, down sides, and wrap under board a little ways to glue, cut vinyl a smidge bigger. Place the message between the fabric and vinyl and and glue both fabric and vinyl to bottom of board. You can then wrap a coordinating ribbon around the side. Here is a board I made like that:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1584242

Cakeuhlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeuhlicious Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 5:37pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakemeacake78

That is such a cute idea!! icon_biggrin.gif

HolleyRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HolleyRose Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 5:56pm
post #11 of 15

How about laminating the message.You can buy laminating paper at Walmart or Office Max. It's clear and sticky on one side. You just peel off the paper backing and carefully place on message. You could do both sides to make it sturdier.

SillySkittles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SillySkittles Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 5:59pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakemeacake78

Quote:

That is such an awesome idea! Especially with the feeling that you were having, but also just in general. It's definitely a nice touch!

Clever! How did you do it? Did you use plexiglass?

Aaaaaaaw!!! Such a cute idea, I will add this to my reveal list that I've been compiling. I guess I'm getting a little ahead of myself though since I'm not actually there yet! But love the idea!

patjobes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patjobes Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 2:39pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:

this made me smile, just about the same thing happened to me so i also put my own label under the cake stating (cake made by pat etc) i just knew the customer was trying to ay it was her own work, needless to say she was found out, and i got a few extra orders out of it, i wonder how long she had gotten away with it if you know what i mean. However i do like the idea of it being a secret reveal, that never crossed my mind at the time but it is a great idea

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 11:21pm
post #14 of 15

You know the patterned and colored contact paper you can buy to line your dish shelves? The clear version of that stuff is great for cake boards! You can put the message on the cake board, then seal the cake board with clear contact paper. It adheres great and then just trim at the edge of the board. Good luck!!

bakemeacake78 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 9:20am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede-cakes

You know the patterned and colored contact paper you can buy to line your dish shelves? The clear version of that stuff is great for cake boards! You can put the message on the cake board, then seal the cake board with clear contact paper. It adheres great and then just trim at the edge of the board. Good luck!!

I wondered about that, but I wasn't sure if it was "food safe" with it having the adhesive backing. I have used it before for my decorated board, but never for my board that the cake sits directly on. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%