What To Do???

Business By TheBakingNurse Updated 30 Jul 2011 , 1:21am by jason_kraft

TheBakingNurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBakingNurse Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 2:45am
post #1 of 5

I have been making cakes for a little while now and I really love it. At this time i only make my cakes when i have time since i have a full time job, a 1yr old and a 4 yr old. Anyways, all of my cakes are made for my family and friends. I get requests for cakes all the time and have to turn them down since i just dont have the time and at this time am unable to make my home a business due to a tax break i recieved on my home (1st time home buyers credit) I want to rent a commmerical kitchen but have no idea what i should be paying dont want to over pay! I just dont know where to start? I am not even sure if this is something that would be lucrative enough for me to cut down my hours at my current job? There currently is only 1 business that offers specialty cakes and a couple ladies i know of that do them from home based businesses. Does anyone have any suggestions that may help decrease my confusion lol???

4 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 5

If you don't have time now to do cakes that people ask you about, you don't have time to run a business full time, which is what you'd have to do to replace enough income to reduce your nursing work hours. Especially with two little ones, it would be really hard.

Maybe you could start looking into the cost of renting a commercial kitchen and figuring out how that would work time-wise for you. Do a chart of how you'd get the baking done and when, and how much you'd have to sell cakes for and how many you'd have to sell to make it worth your while. If you'll end up earning minimum wage and being totally stressed out all the time it would probably be a good idea to wait a few years until your kids are older and more independent.

TheBakingNurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBakingNurse Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 12:04am
post #3 of 5

Thanks I agree with all said. The main reason i am so busy is because of my position. If i was to seriously do this i would step down from my senior management position. I hear that some businesses will rent their kitchen on an hourly rate? does anyone know what the going price is for this?

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 12:26am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBakingNurse

Thanks I agree with all said. The main reason i am so busy is because of my position. If i was to seriously do this i would step down from my senior management position. I hear that some businesses will rent their kitchen on an hourly rate? does anyone know what the going price is for this?

Its VERY different depending on where you live.

In CT I can rent a kitchen in a church.. They are charging me $50 for the day if there are no other events there. And I can stay as long as I please.

When I'm doing cakes in NYC the kitchen is $25 a hour.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 1:21am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBakingNurse

at this time am unable to make my home a business due to a tax break i recieved on my home (1st time home buyers credit)

This seems strange...why would the home buyer's tax credit prevent you from running a home-based business? NM has a cottage food law so you should be OK from the health dept perspective as long as you follow the CFL rules.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%