Stress Free Cake Supports

Decorating By CakeCrystals Updated 30 Jul 2011 , 2:29pm by DianeLM

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 14

Am I the last person to see this? I was looking at cake stuff on youtube and came across this video. I really like this system.

13 replies
Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 14

I hadn't seen the video but I have the SFSS and love it.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks for sharing! I had seen this before but forgotten about it. I am just a hobby baker, but I love stainless steel stuff (I know the little legs are plastic) and would consider this for my family cakes. It looks nice and simple.

JenTwirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenTwirl Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 10:58pm
post #4 of 14

You should check out cake stackers. It looks similar to this system. It's the most amazing investment I have ever made!
www.cakestackers.com

imagenthatnj Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 14

I had cake stackers. Bought it to try. The plates were aluminum and their edges were rough. I gave it away to a friend. She loves it.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 14

They both seem to be pretty cool will have to look into them,.. thanks for sharing

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 11:32pm
post #7 of 14

They both seem to be pretty cool will have to look into them,.. thanks for sharing

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 12:41am
post #8 of 14

I use something similar to the bakery crafts sps system but I use the wilton hidden pillars cut to height and the wilton plate legs fit right into them. they have a wide footprint and are so sturdy. Have delivered 5 tiers stacked over pot hole and country roads with no problems. (similar to the one on the video also.) same cutting method.

I know people who have the system that is shown with the rings and little screws but I have enough problems getting my big white dowel rods and plates back from venus and customers. I can only imagine some of these places keeping track of the little screws, and it isn't an inexpensive set. Personaly I cant afford to be oosing pieces of an expensive system. I can get my cake done before I put all those little screws here and there. But I am also an impatient person sometimes.

Any way you do it.. if it works and keeps a cake safe and it is what you like that is what you should use. You have to feel good and trust what you use.

I want to save and get a cake safe we have such un predicitible weather here and my husband isn't a happy camper with me naging him to go to the ups or fed x store to buy a box to put a stacked cake in. Once we had to have a custom box put together and that was not cheap.. and then the weather cleared up.. go figure.

Hey were in it for the fun and the challenges arent we???

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 8:01am
post #9 of 14

I have the stress free system. I was lucky and got it free. I made a cake for one of my friends and suggested the system since the cake had to travel for two hours. I asked her if I could have the supports back because I knew they would throw them away. I the only thing that I have had to order is a set of different size legs which I also got for free. I love this system. I don't worry about my cakes as much when they are stacked on the stress free supports. I tried the SPS system and the height of the legs are to short. I had to cut my cake layer smaller just to be able to use the legs. I think the legs should come in 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 inch sizes. Don't they figure that people are going to add a filling and frosting?

imagenthatnj Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 3:03pm
post #10 of 14

Thank you, sweettreat101. One more question: are the plates heavy? I might want to send one to my sister in South America. I hate high shipping costs.

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 5:03pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenTwirl

You should check out cake stackers. It looks similar to this system. It's the most amazing investment I have ever made!
www.cakestackers.com

I've seen the cake stacker system and I was amazed by it. I especially like how she flipped the cake upside down and it was still in one piece.
I'm working on this being my next investment.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 9:23am
post #12 of 14

No it's just a metal ring with four screws welded to the plate. Very light. They are hollow in the middle. http://www.stressfreecakes.com/public/store/individual-discs.html

I have the 8 inch and the 4 inch discs. I have used the four inch to support up to an 8 inch cake. The 8 inch disc I have used to support a 9 and 10 inch cake. The first cake traveled for two hours and over a bumpy dirt road. The next cake was delivered by my mother an hour away. I highly recommend using a center dowel when using them for topsy turvy cakes. I used the non stick like they suggest but didn't use the dowel and lets just say the top tier didn't stay where it was supposed to. Yes the non stick is good to tape to the plates for extra piece of mind but it will not keep the cake from sliding it the cake is at an angle I don't care how slow you drive. The system is well worth the money. I recommend the 3.5 and 4 inch legs. My cakes always end up between 4 1/4 and 4 1/2 inches high after adding filling, frosting and fondant so I prefer the 4 inch legs. You can extend the 3.5 but for me it's almost to the end of the threads so if you have an idea on how high your cakes are then you can figure out what size legs you will need.

JustBakedCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustBakedCakes Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 12:59pm
post #13 of 14

I saw this post yesterday and checked out the site. The worst part in doing cakes for me is the stacking. I hate having to cut the plastic or wooden dowels and almost never get it completely level. I ordered this system and I can't wait to get it and try it out. I bought an 8" and a 6" discs with 3.5" and 4" legs. I really hope it makes the process alot easier like it claims. I've seen the Cake stackers and I just can't imagine putting THAT much metal in my cakes. I only do small tiers anyway so I don't think that is ideal. If this system works well enough, I will order more!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 2:29pm
post #14 of 14

I've been using Stress Free Supports for years. Absolutely love them!

The Wilton hidden pillar system does work well, but it displaces a LOT of cake. The legs of the SFS system are very thin and not hollow, so they don't 'core' any cake.

I always give my customers a postage paid Priority Mail box. All they have to do is toss the equipment in the box, seal it up and drop it at the post office. Works great and the postage is around $5. When I get the box, I mail the refunded deposit.

sweettreat101 - you can order legs in half-inch increments from 2" up to 12".

http://www.stressfreecakes.com/public/store/individual-leg-sets.html

ETA - I don't use their plates. I custom cake all my cake boards.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%