Help-Air Brush

Decorating By JackieDryden Updated 30 Jul 2011 , 4:54pm by JackieDryden

JackieDryden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackieDryden Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 7:10am
post #1 of 5

I bought a master air, dual, air brush after Christmas. I got it in January-and ordered Americolor air color for it. I haven't even used it 6 times(icluding tonight) and it doesn'tseem to work right. I hd posted questions before on here about it "spitting" the color. Well then it stopped on me while doing a cake. I took it apart (had to look that up on the internet as no instructions came with it), cleaned it really well, put back together and doesn't spray. It just bubbles in my color well. So I took it to my friend who actually teaches airbrush classes(kopykake). We took it apart 3 or 4 times, cleaned and claned, soaked, cleaned, would finally get it to come out in little bursts but thats it. Cleaned some more. Then it was coming out, not well but it worked. Cleaned it again. Got it home(that was Sunday) and today I go to use it, and its back to sometimes it sprays color, sometimes it doesn't but it still has that "spit" look-big areas of color with dark specks-then nothing. Finally it quit spraying again so I had to cover everything I just tried to do with "grass". I'm very P.O.ed as this took all the Christmas money I accumulated and was looking forward to it, and now I'm about ready to toss it out. Any ideas on why it keeps NOT working-I am at my end!

4 replies
sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 11:47am
post #2 of 5

When this happened to me, I called the company where I purchased it and they helped me to clean it. After the cleaning it worked. I know your friend helped you, but maybe call the company and they can help. Mine came from TCP Global and they were very helpful.

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 12:26pm
post #3 of 5

It may also be a problem with the Americolor. If it is spitting out color in "dark specks" the color may have "chunks" in it and that may be the reason it keeps getting clogged after cleaning. If there are no chunks, it could be too thick also!! Airbrushes are very touchy and the ink/paint/food coloring has to be absolutely fluid with no particles in it. Try spraying just water.....does it spray or still stutter and spray unevenly? If it sprays fine with water then I would bet it is a problem with the color!! If you still have a problem with water then it is an airbrush or possibly an airpressure problem. Do have have a compressor or some other type of air pressure source for your airbrush? Good quality compressors are extremely important to quality airbrushing(and the most expensive part!!)!!I'm not familiar with that brand of airbrush but I always advise people to get a high quality artist's airbrush from an art supply store...not a cake decorating store. Hope this helps!!

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 5

I cannot figure out how to post a link to the site, because they have blocked every permutation of the website address. If you do a google search on Baker's Preferrred Airbursh colors, there are several sites that will come up that sell Airbrush Cleaner. The one I buy from has sugar in the beginning of the name and craft at the end, all lumped together to form one word. It comes in an 8 oz size. As soon as I am done airbrushing, I dunk the head in warm water and pull the trigger. Then I use the Airbrush cleaner. Works like a charm. I have used Americolor, but I actually prefer Baker's Preferred airbrush colors. You can get them from the same site. No more spitting.

JackieDryden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackieDryden Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 5

I also bought this from TCP global, came in a broken case, which they replace, but no info. We have cleaned it using my friends airbrush cleaner-she is a Wilton Instructor and an Instructor at a local community college for air brush classes. Before WHen it was doing it, no it wouldn't even spit the water. Until the fourth or so cleaning. She had her compressor on it too-but she also showed me hers and mine never ran as good the first time I used it as hers did. So now I'm wondering if the airbrush is just a lemon, or the compressor is. In the end when she got it working, after the man ymany cleanings(i was at her house for 2 hours trying to figure this out) and she was using her compressor. When I came home and went to use it a couple days later, it was back to same problem on my air compressor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%