Gender Reveal Cake

Decorating By NomNomBakery Updated 28 Jul 2011 , 10:51pm by gourmetsharon

NomNomBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NomNomBakery Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 4:35am
post #1 of 7

Hi Everyone!
I am making a gender reveal cake with the top layer being an empty box of sorts that holds the answer to the what the baby is going to be. I was given the suggestion to make the top tier (which is hollow) to be made out of gum paste or wrapping fondant around a box. I was wondering if anybody else had any other suggestions or how do I make a box out of gumpaste? I attached a picture that shows the general idea of the top tier Thanks so much

6 replies
Lili5768 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lili5768 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 4:44am
post #2 of 7

I don't see your picture but my thoughts are that perhaps you could make the box out of gumpaste in panels. Four side panels, a bottom panel and a top or lid. Then carefuly glue them together except the lid which you would make so that it can be removed to display the contents. HTH. and I'm sure there must be videos on you tube also that might help. Good Luck!

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 4:53am
post #3 of 7

I never heard of a reveal like that. I always thought you just colored (pink or blue) the batter of the cake, and when it is cut--- walla--- the reveal.

LindseyLoocy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindseyLoocy Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 5:09am
post #4 of 7

That's an interesting idea. But like someone already said, just make 5 squares for the box and then another for the lid and glue with royal. Good luck!

What we're doing at work in coloring our bc filing. We also get filled cupcake requests. It's funny to me that customers will send in their sonogram with the boy or girl marked on it. Sending such a personal item to strangers just for cake, lol.

NomNomBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NomNomBakery Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 10:20pm
post #5 of 7

its actually going to be a round tier on top of a square teir should i still do it in panels??? thanks so much

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 7

I just did a reveal cake that has a 'package' on top of a sheet cake

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2106236

Only mine was a real vanilla cake with pink filling. Word to the wise though...if you do a cake where the filling is the answer make sure you don't have a big thick dam. The couple First cut a small piece and saw a white glob of buttercream and only the faintest pink at the bottom where I'd taken a layer out and there was still residual filling! If I hadn't layered my BC on so only the last one was the blue color they would have thought they were going to have a boy!! And that would have been bad!

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 10:51pm
post #7 of 7

The father-to-be brought me a sealed envelope with the sonogram and "Girl" written on the back. They just wanted a pink or blue colored cake. I also made the filling pink also and used a dam to make sure the pink didn't come out the sides for any reason.

I like the gift box idea and may borrow that another time! They gave me free rein on this one. It's in my photos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%