Black Fondant

Decorating By SavedbyGraceCakes Updated 25 Jul 2011 , 1:28pm by maitej17

SavedbyGraceCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SavedbyGraceCakes Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 10

This is my first time on here and I'm so glad i found this site. I have a question. When making black fondant which is the best way to do it. My daughter and myself made a 3 tier birthday cake for a friend and she wanted the bottom layer black with pink dots and the 2nd layer was white with zebra strips and top was pink. The zebra strips ran onto the white after we steamed the fondant. icon_cry.gif

9 replies
brandy7909 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandy7909 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 10

that sucks! all that hard work! did you tint it yourself? i usually buy black and red already colored since tiniting yourself can be a lot of work and trouble icon_sad.gif

Lon6523 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lon6523 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 10

Black is the hardest to make yourself I find and red as well. So if anything those are the two colors I buy already colored.

ChilliPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChilliPepper Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 10

I colour my own gum paste for modelling but if anyone asked me for a cake covered with black or red fondant I would definitely buy it and hang the cost!!!

CP x

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 10

I color my own fondant, black and red included, and do not have any problem with it bleeding. However, if you put it on with water and apply too much water it will bleed. Use vanilla extract to apply the fondant to the cake. When tinting those colors, I use Americolor gels and Cake Craft candy powder and make sure the fondant sets overnight. Good luck in the future.

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 10:14pm
post #6 of 10

I have found when making black fondant (or even frosting), if I use a chocolate base first then the black color, it doesn't take as much. (same for red - make it dark pink first with pink food (cake) coloring or gel and then you won't need as much red). I also will use brown paste coloring and get it dark brown and then will use less black coloring. You can see in my photos for graduation cookies, how my black turns out.

Good luck! I love the look on Cake Boss on how steamed fondant shines! I'd like to get a little hand steamer.

icon_smile.gif

SavedbyGraceCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SavedbyGraceCakes Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 12:57pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks for all the advice. Where is the best place to get colored fondant?

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 1:04pm
post #8 of 10

I always buy premade for Really Red, Dark blue and Black.

I buy satin ice since its the only thing I can get quickly near my home.
Just do a google search you'll find it for order.

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 1:21pm
post #9 of 10

I'm on team "buy it pre-made." I would use up so much coloring and still not get a true deep black that I now buy black pre-colored, pre-made.

maitej17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maitej17 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 1:28pm
post #10 of 10

I too usually buy my red and black from satin ice, I'm not the biggest fan of the taste but I usually only have to use it for accents on a cake. When I do cover the entire cake I will color my own and just as auntieb said, start by making dark chocolate fondant and then add the black, it really doesn't take that much black coloring if you started out w/chocolate fondant. Same for red, start w/a deep rich pink and then start adding red.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%