Does Anyone Have Any Ideas How To Do A Volleyball Net???

Decorating By angelleyes Updated 24 Jul 2011 , 7:57pm by luckylibra

angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 14

I am doing a volleyball cake for my bosses daughter 16th birthday.. I wanted to do a little volleyball net.. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I would go about making the net????

13 replies
jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 14

Sugarveil.
I have not personally used it myself, but have seen it in action and it looks awesome.
I believe there is even someone here who has figured out how to make it without the expensive kit.
You can google the real stuff or do a searh on this site.

Good Luck.

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 14

Sugarveil is the first thing that popped in my mind too! I haven't used it either, but looks like a really neat product!

angelleyes Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 1:20am
post #4 of 14

the sugarveil scare me .. knowing my luck I would probly burtn the crap out of my self lol

Carmen500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carmen500 Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 1:47am
post #5 of 14

Fondant using an extruder a lot easier than sugarveil and much affordable.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 1:52am
post #6 of 14

If you want it edible, Sugarveil is the only thing I can think of. You can use the icing in a regular piping bag, no heat needed, except the boiling water to make it.

pastrygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirls Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 1:56am
post #7 of 14

you could try royal icing, but it's going to be pretty fragile. maybe take two lollipop sticks and pipe royal icing over them ,then pipe the net design between the sticks. let it dry, then stick it into the cake. you could even let it dry, then flip it over and pipe on top of the icing to get a round look on both sides. would also make it a little more sturdy. thats my idea thats pretty easy and less expensive than sugarveil

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 2:01am
post #8 of 14

You could do it with an extruder and gumpaste/fondant mix...use the small round hole, string out the gumpaste/fondant mix and form it into a net shape..it will take time to dry but should look good...attach to sucker sticks when dry with melted white chocolate.

angelleyes Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 2:25am
post #9 of 14

wow a bunch of ideas .. ty all very much.. Cross your fingers for me icon_biggrin.gif

De65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
De65 Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 4:00am
post #10 of 14

have you seen the long island cake show on TV? He is a 21 yr old kid who makes these really cool cakes. He made a net on a hot air balloon cake.
Look it up and see how he does the net.

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 4:20am
post #11 of 14

I used thinly rolled fondant to make this spider web that sat on the side of my cake, Dried it a long time worked great. Bet that would work for your net too, Liked the idea of using the popsicle sticks on the end for the poles *cover them in fondant too

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 5:48am
post #12 of 14

Do a Google search on "flexible royal icing"--people swear by it for nets, spiderwebs, etc. and cheaper than Sugarveil.

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 12:18pm
post #13 of 14

Sugarveil. I know it is expensive but it goes such a long way. When I use it I always have way too much for the current project. Keep filling your mats, pop the pieces into a bag and they stay a really long time. Really nice accents to sugar flower arrangements, it can be airbrushed, so I have never had any that I have not used. Good luck.

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 7:57pm
post #14 of 14

Somene once posted a thread about using gumpaste and water to make a flexible icing...

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-676017.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%