Stupid Question, Can You Bake On Both Racks In The Oven?

Baking By ranbel Updated 21 Jul 2011 , 8:25pm by cakestyles

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 9

I'm trying to conserve time and have never baked on both racks before.

Can you bake on both racks and the cakes come out perfectly?

8 replies
luntus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luntus Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 9

yup you can

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 9

I have done it without any problems. I do rotate a little more than half way through baking.

ranbel Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks so much, I was just about to take a chance and do it anyway.

I usually bake one at a time or side by side on the top rack, but this time my cakes did not come out evenly. I have a brand new oven and is completely level insdie and out, but they did not rise on the outer sides close to the sides of the oven.

Again, thanks so much for your quick response thumbs_up.gif

Moovaughan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moovaughan Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 9

With two 10" rounds I will put the 1st on the top rack toward the back right and the other I put on the bottom rack front left. Important do not open the oven doors once you have begun, loss of heat with each opening makes for uneven baking. When your ready to check for doneness with your toothpick you may need to rotate them and cook just a tad bit more. I also use the Wilton oven strips wetted and wrapped around each cake pan (I don't like Wilton but I do like their baking strips!).

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 9

Yes, but you need to leave enough room for the air to circulate evenly. For instance, if I'm baking two 9" rounds and two 6" rounds, on the bottom rack I will put the 9" on the left and the 6" on the right. Then on the top rack, I put the 6" on the left and the 9" on the right. It works for me. icon_biggrin.gif

ranbel Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 9

All done baking and they turned out perfectly - thanks so much for your help icon_smile.gif

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 7:43pm
post #8 of 9

For future reference, you do need to consider air flow, particularly with larger sizes. Rounds aren't as big of an issue, but if your oven primarily provides heat from the bottom as most do and you have 2 sheet cakes in the oven, the bottom sheet may cook faster than the top. in those types of scenarios having a convection oven can be helpful.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 8:25pm
post #9 of 9

I only bake on multiple racks in my convection oven because the fan circulates the heat so that the entire oven is the same temperature.

In my conventional oven the bottom is too hot and darkens the crust of the cake too much for my liking. So I place the rack in the middle and just bake on that one rack.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%