No Refridgeration Fillings

Decorating By LJJohnson Updated 21 Jul 2011 , 1:55pm by MerlotCook

LJJohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LJJohnson Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a filling that will not need to be refridgerated. I am making a cake for my uncles 80th birthday this upcomming weekend. The temps are actually going to finally cool down in northern MN (where the party is), and temps should only be in the mid-upper 70's, but the humidity will still be high.

I would like to make the cake the day before, however, since it is going to be a train scene (two 9x13 cakes placed side by side with a gap in in between the two as a revine), it is going to be too large to put in the refridgerator to keep cool. I have decided to use Indydebi's buttercream frosting, but I am in need of a filling (other than the frosting) that I can use that can sit out at room temperature for 24+ hours.

I am planning on making one chocolate cake and one white/vanilla cake.

Thanks for all of your help! Again!!

Laura

6 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 2:31am
post #2 of 7

Ganache makes a great filling. And there's a peanut-butter filling on here that's to die for, if nobody has problems with peanuts. I never use fillings that need refrigeration, mostly because I always cover my cakes in fondant and I don't like to refrigerate it because of the condensation problems when you take it out.

MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 1:18pm
post #3 of 7

I really like to mix store bought preserves or jelly with some butter extract and fresh lime juice for a filling- these do not require refrigeration.

theCword Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theCword Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 1:40pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlotCook

I really like to mix store bought preserves or jelly with some butter extract and fresh lime juice for a filling- these do not require refrigeration.

do you have to mix it? i have an organic strawberry spread at home. could i use this as a filling? i don't have butter extract but i do have lime juice!

I have the same exact question... i need a non refriderated filling for a cake i'm making tonight.

MerlotCook Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 1:45pm
post #5 of 7

You could use it without the butter extract- I just add it to give it a different flavor. I think your strawberry spread would be wonderful as a filling. One think to check though, is that if it is a homemade spread, often times they do need refrigerated- not sure if yours is or not, just thought I'd add that!

theCword Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theCword Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 1:50pm
post #6 of 7

nope, its store bought. dumb question but why does a homemade have to be refrigerated and a store bought doesn't? it's prob common sense but i'm new. icon_biggrin.gif

MerlotCook Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 1:55pm
post #7 of 7

Its not that it always has to be refrigerated, it's that it is more prone to growing bacteria. Store bought has more preservatives and uses a different process for manufacturing. I cannot legally use any homemade jellies, jams, etc in the cakes I sell.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%