Client Didn't Pay 2 Years Ago, Wants Another Cake!

Business By Annabakescakes Updated 26 Jul 2011 , 7:50am by LisaPeps

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 4:38am
post #61 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

and is torted 8 times and filled with premium chocolate and alcohol (Bailey;s).

I love Baileys! This cake sounds wonderful. Do you have a recipe or can you tell me where I can find one?
Thanks

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 4:50am
post #62 of 72

I think you are set on how you are going to handle this one. I just had to reply because im at the piont of writing off my R2D2 cake-- and most likely the friendship that was there when I made it.

It was done before I was legal and when my friend asked me to do it for her, I said yes, but that I needed to have her cover costs, about $75. When she said, "oh, that's not enough'" yeah I said, what ever you want.

I have seen her two times since and she has mentioned on FB and in email that she wanted to get together for a play date with our boys nd that she needed to give me back the base and pay me. Nothing pans out.

I have finally emailed her to say that she can forget about the dummy base, but if she could just send the check in the mail. Still nothing. And I know it isnt a financial siutation, it is just a lack of respect. The friendship has been a bit rocky, and the $75 isn't monumental, so the worst part is that I have some yucky feelings when I look at that super cool cake.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 5:07am
post #63 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeFLL

Quote:

I love Baileys! This cake sounds wonderful. Do you have a recipe or can you tell me where I can find one?
Thanks

It was more of an experiment. I used a vanilla cake I added extra vanilla bean paste and extra egg yolk and Bailey's. Took part of the batter and added cinnamon, then swirled it. I made another layer that was chocolate with about 3 Tablespoons instant coffee crystals and Bailey's. I torted both laters 3 times.

I started with the vanilla cake, and put chocolate ganache filling, then a chocolate layer then baileys flavored bettercream, then vanilla cake and repeat, again and again! Then I wrapped it and froze overnight.

The flavors blended so well and it was amazing! My batter made a 10" and a 4" so I made 2 tiny torted cakes with it. My husband is a recovering alcoholic, so my mother and I ate one with baileys and I made another with caramel filling for my husband, since the filling wasn't cooked, it still had alcohol in it.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 1:33pm
post #64 of 72
Quote:

And the reason I did all that for them is because I wanted to bless them the way they had blessed me. I had the money for the catering stolen from me 4 days before the wedding by a friend who was really messed up on meth. I was letting her stay with me to try to get her life back on track and get her kid back, and she relapsed and stole my car, money and carseat. I got the car back from the impound lot, but I had to replace the car seat already and never got the money back. With out them, I wouldn't have had anything to eat at the wedding, but they were out about $100 out of pocket and 5 hours of time. I have spent at least twice the amount of money and 10 times the time.

Well if it's about being even and tit for tat, then $30 may be a big deal. I personally don't do things for what I may get back, nor do I keep track. I also thought you did those cakes, cause you wanted too. No more, nor less, but seeing as how you pointed it out, I misunderstood.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 2:24pm
post #65 of 72

I think if I was in this situation, I would sit down and type out an itemized history of all the cakes that you did for this family.

Just what you have told us, every discount, freebies, extras, all of it. Include any payments made toward your cakes and then proceed with the cost that you are charging her for this cake.

This way she will see how you have gone out of your way to help them. Then state that your policy has changed for all customers and you require all cakes prepaid before delivery.

I think that if she sees everything in writing she will understand where you stand and will either clear up old balance or leave you a big tip.

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 2:52pm
post #66 of 72
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeFLL

Quote:

Thanks

It was more of an experiment. I used a vanilla cake I added extra vanilla bean paste and extra egg yolk and Bailey's. Took part of the batter and added cinnamon, then swirled it. I made another layer that was chocolate with about 3 Tablespoons instant coffee crystals and Bailey's. I torted both laters 3 times.

I started with the vanilla cake, and put chocolate ganache filling, then a chocolate layer then baileys flavored bettercream, then vanilla cake and repeat, again and again! Then I wrapped it and froze overnight.

The flavors blended so well and it was amazing! My batter made a 10" and a 4" so I made 2 tiny torted cakes with it. My husband is a recovering alcoholic, so my mother and I ate one with baileys and I made another with caramel filling for my husband, since the filling wasn't cooked, it still had alcohol in it.

Thanks for the info. I will have to try it out.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 5:25pm
post #67 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTCakes1

Well if it's about being even and tit for tat, then $30 may be a big deal. I personally don't do things for what I may get back, nor do I keep track. I also thought you did those cakes, cause you wanted too. No more, nor less, but seeing as how you pointed it out, I misunderstood.

I did want to do the cakes, but I am raising a family. It is not about being even or tit for tat, but how long does it go on? Someone does you an amazing favor so you give them cake for the rest of their life? And this is for their daughter, it is the grand daughter's cake. So I give them and every generation free cake as well? I guess I'll do the grand daughter's wedding cake, and my daughter will have to take over the business to do her great-grandaughter's wedding cake....Will that be even then? Or should I not keep track? I guess free cake until Jesus comes back will be perfect, and my kids can just do without, they already have it better than I did growing up. icon_rolleyes.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 7:25pm
post #68 of 72

Perhaps you could consider this a new starting point. Accept that anything done in the past is in the past and plan to move forward from here treating them like you would other clients.

Explain to them that the cost of their cake is going to be $x (whatever you would normally charge) and that the money is due by x date or unfortunately you will not be able to make it for them.

I wouldn't give a discount or mention the past cakes or the money owed from 2 years ago. IF they ask why they aren't getting discount you can explain that now that you are a legal bakery you have certain expenses that you have to meet and are no longer offering discounts. It's then on them if they want you to make the cake or not.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 7:46pm
post #69 of 72

So no more freebies and no more discounts because they will always think they are entitled to them! Add the $30 to the total price and ask for 50% deposit.

cat2512 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cat2512 Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 8:10pm
post #70 of 72

I would listen to Jason Kraft. He has the best business sense of anyone on here.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 6:38am
post #71 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorieleann

I think you are set on how you are going to handle this one. I just had to reply because im at the piont of writing off my R2D2 cake-- and most likely the friendship that was there when I made it.

It was done before I was legal and when my friend asked me to do it for her, I said yes, but that I needed to have her cover costs, about $75. When she said, "oh, that's not enough'" yeah I said, what ever you want.

I have seen her two times since and she has mentioned on FB and in email that she wanted to get together for a play date with our boys nd that she needed to give me back the base and pay me. Nothing pans out.

I have finally emailed her to say that she can forget about the dummy base, but if she could just send the check in the mail. Still nothing. And I know it isnt a financial siutation, it is just a lack of respect. The friendship has been a bit rocky, and the $75 isn't monumental, so the worst part is that I have some yucky feelings when I look at that super cool cake.

lo and behold, putting it into writing worked! I got a call and a visit this weekend from my friend along with a generous payment for the cake. (and i know she doesn't read this board...) icon_biggrin.gif

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 7:50am
post #72 of 72
Quote:

Quote:

lo and behold, putting it into writing worked! I got a call and a visit this weekend from my friend along with a generous payment for the cake. (and i know she doesn't read this board...) icon_biggrin.gif

Woo! Glad it worked out for you. I'm still waiting for the £90 back that I lent my "friend" when she lost her bank cards... I've been waiting about 6 years... lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%