Painting Fondant?

Decorating By BabyGSR Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 11:37pm by LisaStephens

BabyGSR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyGSR Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 6

This will be my 1st attempted to painting a fondant cake. I will use Wilton concentrated gel and mix it with vodka. My question is how long does it takes to dried up the cake? If I paint the cake on Friday night, will it dried up by Saturday early morning? About how many hours does it needs to be dried, or should I paint it 2 days ahead? While letting it dried up, do we let it sit out over night or do we put it in the fridge?

I'm am very new to this. Thanks.

5 replies
LisaStephens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaStephens Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 6

Any of the cakes I have painted, they were ready the next day without refrigeration

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 6

@BabyGSR, when I paint fondant, I use powdered food colors (or petal dust) and mix with lemon extract, it works very well. You can also use undiluted airbrush color. Anytime I have painted with gel colors, they've stayed a bit sticky, but that is just my own personal experience. Others may have a different take.

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 6

I agree - the color always stays kind of sticky for me as well. What you might want to try is to get some white powder color and mix it into your gel colors. That helps it dry a little better.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 6

I love the airbrush colors because they do dry better for me.

I would avoid the fridge if possible, because if you get condensation on the cake it will take that much longer for the paintings to dry.

LisaStephens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaStephens Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:37pm
post #6 of 6

I guess I should have added that I use powdered colors also but with vodka, have not tried the lemon extract, will have to do that, thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%