Fondant Or Gumpaste???

Decorating By ngandara Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 3:19am by ReneeFLL

ngandara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngandara Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 1:50am
post #1 of 5

I am looking to create the bow on the top of this cake...

http://arteatsbakery.com/images/Two%20tier%20custom%20blue,%20brown%20and%20white%20polka%20dots%20and%20stripes%20baby%20boy%20shower%20cake%20with%20sugar%20bow.jpg

I have tried to make a fondant bow and it doesnt seem to get hard enough and it broke. I did not try this kind of bow so I am not sure if that will make a difference. Thanks!!! thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:12am
post #2 of 5

Fondant doesn't harden enough, at least in my experience. I use either 50/50 fondant & gumpaste or straight gumpaste. Or you can also use fondant with tylose added to it, which will help it to harden.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:32am
post #3 of 5

You can use fondant for that kind of bow. You just need a thick dowel that you can hang up somewhere, cover with plastic wrap and then hang the loops over it to dry...fondant loops do not dry as well turned on their sides as gumpaste. Make sure the pinched ends of the loops are all even with each other, or you end up with a funny-looking bow. It may take several days for the loops to dry and if you get impatient and mess with them too soon, they will break.

Personally, I'd rather use gumpaste...it dries faster and you can work it a lot thinner, making the finished piece weigh less.

Yeni131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yeni131 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:59am
post #4 of 5

We were taught in our fondant class to use 50:50 fondant:gumpaste fo the bow. It starts drying in an hour and will be ready for use overnight.

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 3:19am
post #5 of 5

Like the others said to use a 50/50 mix or straight gumpaste. To dry faster I put mine in the oven on a cookie sheet. I turn the light on for some heat. Dont turn the heat on, but only the light.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%