Sps Question- Tier Smaller Than 6"

Decorating By HappyCake10609 Updated 18 Jul 2011 , 11:38pm by HappyCake10609

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 3

I've recently started using SPS as my support system (LOVE IT).

Anyway, I'm making a cake for this weekend. It's a 3 tier cake and the top tier will be a soccer ball. I'm going to use the Wilton Sports Ball pan and when I level the bottom, it will be smaller than 6". I still want to use SPS though because I have to travel about 40 minutes away with the cake...

I have not seen SPS plates in any size smaller than 6". I have an idea, I'm wonder if it will work or if anyone has any better suggestions... I don't want the plate to show, and there won't be any other decoration on the top of the middle tier to cover the plate, so I was thinking I might put the plate/pillar assembly on BEFORE the fondant. After I buttercream my cake, then add a bit more buttercream to level off the surface, then put on the fondant. Is this a stupid idea? I mean the cake board for the ball would be attached to fondant and not the plate, I don't know if enough of the "peg" will poke through to hold the board in place well.... but I get so incredibly nervous using the wooden dowel method for support.....

Any idea's suggestions? I'm guessing the base of the ball will be about 4" after I level it off...

2 replies
bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 3

I did my highschool reunion cake and I didnt have an 8 inch plate but had extra legs, so I just used the legs as dowels and placed the cake on the cakeboard on these. It worked great. You could do this and place the top on when you got there.

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks! That's a great idea icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%