Cricut Cake Machine????????????

Decorating By katiemay Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 5:22am by KarisCakes

katiemay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiemay Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 12

Hello everyone.

Can anyone please advise me. I have been thinking about buying a cricut cake machine for a while but i am worried it will end up being another expensive item that i buy and hardly ever use. can anyone please advise me.

they are also really really expensive in the uk. if I was to buy one does anyone know where I could buy one from anywhere in the world at a good price and get it shipped to the uk.

thank you and really appreciate your advice.

Katie icon_confused.gif xx

11 replies
MBCOMER Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBCOMER Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 12

I personally love my cricut. I have the mini one, which is cheaper and it cuts so much, I do not feel the need to buy the bigger one. I will tell you though, it takes alot of time to get used to it! I reserched, watched lots of videos, read blogs etc etc. But once I got the hang of it, I loved it! So if you dont have the time to play around with it in the beginning, I wouldnt spend the money. Im sorry, I dont know where you could order one for cheaper, I ordered directly from Provo craft, they go on special quite often!

King-Girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
King-Girlz Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 12

I agree...it takes a lot of time to get used to. I find I use my in spurts. There is alot of videos to watch, etc. Nothing works on it as easy as they claim. It took alot of time to iron out the kinks!
Costco here in Canada seems to be the cheapest around...I know the UK has Costco..can you order online at UK Costco and have it sent to you?

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10349935&search=cricut&Mo=7&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-CA&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Sp=S&N=0&whse=BCCA&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Ne=4000000&D=cricut&Ntt=cricut&No=5&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

aguast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aguast Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 7:17pm
post #4 of 12

I purchased mine from ebay. I've had it for about 2 months now, each time I go to use it, I have problems cutting, when reading up on it, if it's too humid outside, it just doesn't work, all the gumpaste/fondant gets stuck in the blade. I've read alot of people once they figure out how to actually work this machine that it does work great! Here's to playing around with it for a while! Hope I can figure it out before it becoming a dust collector!

katiemay Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 12

thanks for your advice. i have been pricing them and in the uk they are over £300 where as in walmart in US they are $182 ( £113) how on earth can they justify the differance in price. there is no way I could afford to pay £300. boo hoo icon_sad.gif xx
icon_cry.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 12

You might also look at the silhouette SD. It works so well and you don't need to buy the expensive cartridges. I use Make The Cut software and can cut any image I want. Linda McClure has a special blade for the silhouette for cutting gumpaste/fondant. The blades that come with it will not work. Check out Linda's videos on youtube then check out her website.

JessiesCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessiesCreations Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 9:14pm
post #7 of 12

Hello,

Prior to buying the cricut I read alot of articles and watched a lot of youtube videos. The key is to learn from others that have tried it out and use their tips on how to make it work. I was able to get my cricut from HSN.com for $199.00 plus I found a promo code so I got free shipping. I signed up for 4 flex payments so it helped break up the shock of $199.00. One of the greatest tips I can give you is to always freeze your fondant for 30 minutes once it has been rolled onto the mat. I have had no problems with cutting when I use the freezer method. When you get the cricut, dedicate some time to sit down and learn it..don't rush getting to know your cricut, if you do you'll be so confused with all the buttons, blade, and cutting options. Good luck to ya!

katiemay Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 6:55am
post #8 of 12

thank you everyone for your advice. good news I got one from EBay usa last night and it is $215 (£135) including the postage. so a huge saving for me thumbs_up.gif just hope it get here in one piece and does not take to long. thanks Again Kay.

oh and if anyone has any tips for me using it i would appreciate it them. (30 mins in the freezer is good thanks ) what type of fondant is best to use? also do all the cartridges work on the cake machine or just the actual cake ones. it is all a bit confusing.
icon_confused.gif xx

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 12:13pm
post #9 of 12

Check out Linda McClure's youtube videos for step by step instructions.

krumbledkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krumbledkakes Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 5:34pm
post #10 of 12

I just had to comment that we have the same screen name lol
I will go change mine so we aren't confused, and since you were here first you get it icon_smile.gif

katiemay Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 6:16pm
post #11 of 12

Ha ha small world. thanks xx

KarisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarisCakes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:22am
post #12 of 12

I also have a cricut cake, and I love it. I use wilton fondant and it cuts very well, as long as what I am cutting isn't too small. Tiny fonts are hard, but not impossible. I live in Arizona, the desert, so humidity isn't problem for me. However all that being said, if I could do it all over again,Ii would buy the Silhouette with the cake package. The reason being that I almost never use cartridges. I pretty much only use Make the Cut. And, if I ever have to update either my firmware, or software, I won't be able to use it anymore since the lawsuit. That day will come for me, and I'll then buy a Silhouette.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%