Collaring A Cake Pan ???...

Baking By Mikel79 Updated 18 Jul 2011 , 8:48pm by dchockeyguy

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 11:46am
post #1 of 4

Hi Cakers!

I am having a issue with my cakes 2" after I level them. Please refer to the below picture. I posted this picture in another thread, but I did not want this topic/question to get lost in that thread.

My cakes rise slightly over 2" when baking, but the top of the cake bakes on the Magic Line lip of the pan. I have to trim the cake due to this. I am left with a 3 1/2" cake when I place the two layers together.

Someone mentioned to use parchment paper as a collar so the cake has some support and I will then have a 2" cake layer.

Have ya'll done this? Does the sides of your cake bake properly with this method? How do you collar a cake pan?? How does the collar stick to the pan??

3 replies
kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 12:02pm
post #2 of 4

I will collar my pans ocassionally. I take strips of parchment about an inch higher than the sides of my pan and line the sides making sure that the strips overlap if there is more than one. I use pam on my pans and that is enough to adhere them to the sides and I add a little to the over lap to make them stick. I find this works really well for me.

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaat

I will collar my pans ocassionally. I take strips of parchment about an inch higher than the sides of my pan and line the sides making sure that the strips overlap if there is more than one. I use pam on my pans and that is enough to adhere them to the sides and I add a little to the over lap to make them stick. I find this works really well for me.

Thx!

Any other input from other cakers??

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 4

I've never needed to collar a cake before. But you could also use foil, just like you do for a souffle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%