Fondant Or Gum Paste To Make Baby Jungle Animals?

Decorating By iteachtobeach Updated 17 Jul 2011 , 8:48pm by bakingpw

iteachtobeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iteachtobeach Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 4

I am attempting my very first "production" of baby jungle animals. I found this cake that I would like to recreate for a baby shower. Link is: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1412863

Any help is advised. I have never worked with fondant or gum paste. Is this going to be too much for a first-timer? I am open to all suggestions. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Freedomx6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freedomx6 Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 4

In my photos you can see a safari themed cake, and it was my first time making animal figures, though it wasn't my first time working with fondant.

I'd say it all depends on whether or not it would be a tragedy if you couldn't get your desired affect. If it is for family that is willing to accept a possible failure, then I say go for it.

I'd pull out some fondant and play with it to see how your figurines turn out. Roll some out and cover a dummy cake and see if you can get the feel for it.

You can also make your figures a week to a month in advance, it will give you a head start and keep your nerves down days before the party.
[/img]

nicunurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicunurse Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 4

Hi! View our new safari cake photo for animal pics. We used RKT and fondant for these animals. Sitting animals are alot easier then standing. You can pm me for more details on how to make the animals if you want. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 4

I would suggest fondant as it doesn't get so hard and brittle. I think you can do this. Get your colors ready in advance and make a plan and GO FOR IT!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%