Making My Daughteres 1St Birthday Cake

Decorating By KoopaLove Updated 16 Jul 2011 , 1:51am by bakerliz

KoopaLove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoopaLove Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 10:20pm
post #1 of 4

Hello to all members!! This is my very first forum post and I'm sure I'll be getting a few giggles. I am attempting(and i use this term loosely) to make my daughter's first birthday cake. I'm doing a simple vanilla and chocolate swirl but heres the kicker, it's a Hello Kitty head shaped cake. I have the pan, compliments of Joann's. I will be using a vanilla buttercream, jelly beans for the eyes and nose and black licorice for the whiskers. I was wondering if there was anything I should know about using butter cream? Or maybe someone has a particular recipe they are fond of? I will be using a star tip for the face. Any tips, tricks of the trade, hints, suggestions or comments would be very much appreciated!!! Oh and has anyone used powder whitener? If so, thoughts?

Thanks again!! ♥

=KoopaLove=

3 replies
AliBakes6167 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AliBakes6167 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 4

Hi!

I would highly suggest buying the triple star tip from JoAnn: http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=zprd_02784445a

I made a soccer cake and piped with a single star tip for the whole cake - took me forever!! This will save you a lot of time.

As for buttercream, it depends on your taste, what consistency your after blah blah. but this one is pretty good, especially for what your doing (is sort of a stiff buttercream, once it sets)
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/buttercream-icing/detail.aspx

AliBakes6167 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AliBakes6167 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoopaLove

Hello to all members!! This is my very first forum post and I'm sure I'll be getting a few giggles. I am attempting(and i use this term loosely) to make my daughter's first birthday cake.

p.s. WELCOME! I'm a newbie to & lovin it. One of the great things on this site is that you can search the forums, if you want to know more about a certain subject. enjoyicon_smile.gif

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 1:51am
post #4 of 4

Welcome KoopaLove, If you use clear extracts, your frosting should be pretty white. I use 1C. Shortening, 1C. Butter, 2Lbs. Powdered Sugar, 1Tbs Vanilla (clear in this case). HTH icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%