Making Stencils On A Cricut?

Decorating By Nazarine Updated 16 Jul 2011 , 5:20am by Nazarine

Nazarine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nazarine Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 4

I wanted to try out some stencils but I need some flower cutters first, so I put them on hold. Then my neighbor mentioned her daughter scrapbooks with a Cricut. I got to thinking...what if I could make cake stencils using her cricut? Then I was wondering if I purchased some Cricut Cake cartridges, would they work in her normal Cricut? Anyone try this? I figure it would be a relatively cheap experiment.

3 replies
Mookie122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mookie122 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 1:55am
post #2 of 4

I have the Cricut Expressions and the cartridges are interchangeable. I've played with the idea of cutting fondant and gumpaste with it but wasn't sure of the food safety issues. Even though, on the "Ultimate Cake Off" t.v. show, a baker used the expressions and didn't get any grief about the FDA issue. But I have made a few stencils and just used the cut outs to imprint on the fondant and cut using a very fine tip blade.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 3:11am
post #3 of 4

Yes you can successfully cut stencils on a Cricut Expression and use them on cakes, etc. I buy stencil material at craft stores such as Hobby Lobby, Michael's and AC Moore. You can also purchase food grade stencil material online. You can also cut your own stamps as well icon_smile.gif

Hope that helps!
Pam

Nazarine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nazarine Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 5:20am
post #4 of 4

THANK YOU! I can't wait to try this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%