Silly Question

Decorating By platinumlady Updated 14 Jul 2011 , 5:46pm by platinumlady

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 6:02am
post #1 of 8

I have always used "pure" confectioners sugar when making my icing...whatever kind I make...Well the Sam's stop selling C&H & they sell one that is in a pink package & gluten free. It wasn't until I got home that I noticed it didn't say pure on it. So I never used it. icon_rolleyes.gif I'm wanting to make some royal icing for so demos for my students and the store & I was wondering would this kind still turn out right. icon_confused.gif The brand is "Bakers & Chefs" and it says it's ultra fine.

I know this is a silly question icon_redface.gif ...I've just always been taught to use "pure" And a don't want to mess stuff up...Has anyone used this brand. Does it work as good as C&H icon_confused.gif

TIA.

7 replies
rreed6263 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rreed6263 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 6:26am
post #2 of 8

I LOVE Bakers and Chefs brand. My Sam's stopped selling it several years ago and I can't get it anymore around here. It is awesome.. Makes the smoothest buttercream... Try a small batch of Royal to test it out.

HTH

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 6:46am
post #3 of 8

I don't use any specific brand for my icings. The only thing that I check for on the powdered sugar is that if it has a starch in it (to keep it from clumping) that it is corn starch not wheat starch. Some of the cheaper brands put the wheat starch in and the frostings always have that walpaper paste texture .. gloppy with the wheat starch. I

I bought powdered sugar and blamed it on the brand all the time until I started to notice the ingredient change.

I don't have any problems anymore about powdered sugar as long as it doesn't have the wheat starch.

I am not sure what our sams has. If your looking for a specific brand maybe google it. Every area has different brands. I used to love a certain brand of potato chips and thought they went out of business.. umtil we went to south carolina for vacation and I was so excited to find them.. I even brought some home from vacation!! Perhaps you could find the same thing with your favorite powdered sugar. Some stores will ship things for you now days if you find a retailer. Good luck.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 8

The thing about the packages marked as pure cane, is that that is what they are. If the package doesn't say 'pure' or 'pure cane' anywhere on it, it could be made from beet sugar, which can give you a grainy icing.

I had to stop using Sam's 7lb bag because it wasn't pure cake (generic/store brands can change back and forth) because I found my butter cream was coming out with a gritty texture. Not anything major, just enough to bug me.

If this is just for royal icing for flowers or such, then I'd use it. The icing will still make up just fine, it just might have an off texture.

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 8

I have found that PURE CANE sugar works best for me. I have to add more powdered sugar if I don't use it.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 3:33pm
post #6 of 8

We use beet sugar for vegan frosting (some don't consider cane sugar to be vegan) and we don't notice any difference in consistency or taste. We purchase pure beet sugar from a restaurant supply store.

Reyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reyna Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 3:48pm
post #7 of 8

All I use is the pink one from Sams and I always sift it works perfect for me.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 5:46pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone. I will go ahead & use it for the demos. I can get the 7lb bags of C&H but I would have to become a member of Costco too & they will ship it to me. Just can't bring myself to have too memberships. You all were really helpful & like I said this is for demos & not customers.

Thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%