Sugarpaste (Fondant) Onto Buttercream?

Decorating By Traceyelizabeth Updated 14 Jul 2011 , 7:15pm by sweettreat101

Traceyelizabeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Traceyelizabeth Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 4

I work from the UK where we cover our buttercreamed cakes with sugapaste (rolled fondant). Now I am coming over to the States for a wedding and have to make my little sugarpaste characters for a wedding cake. Thing is, the lady making the 3 tier cake does not do rolled fondant but leaves the cake buttercreamed. So, I am used to using edible glue (CMC & water) to stick my models onto my sugarpaste cakes. will this work onto buttercream? When I put sugarpaste decs onto my buttercream cupcakes it kind of melts and the colour runs so am scared the wedding cake will be disaster ville!!

3 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 4

You will need to use butter cream not glue to add your decorations to a butter cream cake. If the decorations are heavy then I add a toothpick in the bottom before they dry. I do this for all of my flowers if they will be placed on the side of the cake. If they decorations are not heavy then add a circle of butter cream to the bottom of your decoration. It helps add a little suction to the decoration after being added to the cake.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 4

When you say sugar paste is that the same as gum paste? Because if it is, it should dry fairly hard and not go soft on buttercream. I don't use fondant to cover cakes...only butter cream and I use gum paste and fondant decor all the time using buttercream or royal icing to attach items. Because gum paste dries so light (flowers especially) I don't have any problem attaching with extra frosting. If you're attaching to a good crusting buttercream, you shouldn't have any problems.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 4

Sugar Paste in the UK means Fondant. They generally don't use butter cream on their cakes. It's fondant or marzipan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%