Flowers

Decorating By Zuicidal_Zeth Updated 13 Jul 2011 , 12:25am by Zuicidal_Zeth

Zuicidal_Zeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zuicidal_Zeth Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all, im looking to make a load of icing roses for saturday, ive looked everywhere in hereford where i live for the ingredients to make sugar paste but i cant find the ingredients anywhere, however i found ready to roll coloured royal icing and was wondering if this would work instead. my next question is, on alot of the tutorials ive watched they all say to use corn startch, firstly would this be what we call corn flour and secondly will it impair the taste if anyone wishes to eat them, last but not least, not regarding flowers, what is the best way to stick the rolled icing to a sponge cake, i think someone said to use butter cream but i just wantedto doube check, thank you for any help, cheers. Rich

6 replies
jjjjjab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjjjjab Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 7

Is the sponge cake iced in buttercream? At the bakery I worked for, we would make hundreds of buttercream roses, line them up on parchment covered sheet pans. Leave them AIR DRY for a day or so, they are very easy to pick up with a small metal spatula and just place on a small blob of fresh buttercream on the cake. It's amazing how sturdy they were!

Zuicidal_Zeth Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 7

because im going to make them into the shape of books i was going to use the ready to roll icing, then on another cake that will accompany the books i was going to try that chocolate wrapping technique i saw somewhere on here to make a sponge with raised choc walls so i can fill the inside with cream and rasperrys with roses around the bottom of the cake, ive had to change my plans several times due to lack of experience and lack of desent cake supplies around here, however ive found a near by one for future reference

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuicidal_Zeth

ive had to change my plans several times due to lack of experience and lack of desent cake supplies around here, however ive found a near by one for future reference

Found a nearby cake supply store for ready-to-roll icing???

(I agree that air-dried buttercream roses are quick and easy, if you know how to make them.)

Zuicidal_Zeth Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 4:39pm
post #5 of 7

no not a store for ready rolled icing, but for cake supplies, decorating, the powders and stuff, i havent been tere yet but so far ive been limited to liquid colouring etc, id like to learn how to do butter cream flowers but havent had chance yet, i think ive seen some videos about it but havent taken the time to learn yet, thank you for replies

Zuicidal_Zeth Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 7

going for the more realistic rose by doing each petal, ive since discovered that rolled icing is apparently another word for sugarpaste or fondant icing, so im hoping i got the right stuff to do the job, im gonna have a go at a few tonight so ill post a pic and you can give me your opinion, ill click on the link aswell, my dad used to bake years ago then stopeed because he couldnt deal with creating something to be kind of destroyed in minutes lol, so ive got pretty much all the tools i need, thanks for your help

Zuicidal_Zeth Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 12:25am
post #7 of 7

well ive tried a few, unfortunatly cant find camera, im not sure if i got rubbish icing or if im making it to thin, sometimes the edges of the flowers seem to crack, seems to happen more so when im using the yellow icing, but not as much with the white and red, also when you use the ball tool, are you suppoed to roll it or drag it? thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%