Glycerin In Buttercream?

Baking By ScaryMissMary Updated 12 Jul 2011 , 1:51pm by ScaryMissMary

ScaryMissMary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ScaryMissMary Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 5

Has anybody tried adding a touch of glycerin to buttercream? I'm just starting up and have my first order for wedding cupcakes in August.
The thing is, due to a medical condition I can't get up early in the morning to ice 5 dozen cupcakes. I don't want the icing crusting overnight so am wondering what effect glycerin would have, or how much would be necessary.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 5

I've never heard of adding it to buttercream, though I have heard of people using it in Royal icing.

What is your normal recipe? Crusting is based on the sugar to fat ratio. The more fat the less it crusts, so you could try adding more crisco/butter to your recipe to get it to crust less or slower. You could also try a non crusting recipe as well. Since you have some time to try out some different recipes.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 5

Store the cupcakes in an airtight container overnight, and the frosting will not crust.

ScaryMissMary Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you both. I'll be looking up a non-crusting recipe shortly and trying it out this week.
I like the tip about the airtight containers. I don't think I have enough to fit all the cakes in, but I'll definitely give it a go!

ScaryMissMary Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 1:51pm
post #5 of 5

I've just thought; would covering the boxes in cling film have the same effect as airtight boxes?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%