Ranunculus, Which Do You Think Is Best One?

Decorating By Elcee Updated 12 Jul 2011 , 1:27pm by Elcee

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 17

Hi! I finished my first try making ranunculus. I need just one for an upcoming wedding cake and can't decide which I like best or if I should start over. Please help me with HONEST feedback! Let me know which you like best or if I should just start over. If you think I need to start over, please let me know why (too open, too ruffly, etc.). I based them more on Sharon Zambito's seen here http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/grapsicle-buttercream-and-red.html than on Jacqueline Butler's tighter ones in this picture http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-maDKYiFfeDk/TYqj7YFsRNI/AAAAAAAABFs/PFMeQwm-8KE/s1600/Topper%2Bclose%2Bup.JPG.

So, Ranunculus A, B, C or none of the above?
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2094356
Thanks so much! icon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 17

We need a button for ALL OF THE ABOVE! They are all lovely Elcee.

Remember that we are our own worst critics. Any of those would be perfect for a wedding cake.

Kristy

cr8zchpr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cr8zchpr Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 17

I agree a combination of all three will give you a more dynamic look instead of just one type of flower... I like all three.

LindaB2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaB2010 Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 17

I can't pick one. They are all pretty.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 17

I don't like B, not enough petals or too open. I personally like a tighter one, but I seeing where you are going with it, I think A and C are wonderful.
(And I am not speaking from experience, ranunculus have just started to come "in" around here, so I haven't made them yet.)
Good job!

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 10:03pm
post #6 of 17

If I had to choose I would say I like A the best. C is the next one I would go with. I tend to compare things to how they would look as fresh flowers since I have a background in greenhouse management and horticulture. I think you did a lovely job and your cake is going to be gorgeous with such nice flowers!

Elcee Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 1:23am
post #7 of 17

Thanks for all the nice words, everyone, and the opinions! I had been leaning towards A but C seems to be the overwhelming choice so far.

cr8zchpr, the design doesn't allow for using more than one. If I could use all 3 I would, I'm just having a hard time choosing just one; it's hard to pick a favorite icon_rolleyes.gif!

icon_biggrin.gif

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 2:17am
post #8 of 17

I think they are pretty, but not what I've seen before. Usully they are tight with maybe a little furling on the outer layers of petals. The very center of C is spot on. So if you stick with that with them gradually coming out loose as the layers expand with not a lot of the frill. I always think of an opening cabbage. Does that make sense? And I'm just giving you my honest opinion like you asked for. Also, google some images.

Elcee Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 1:13pm
post #9 of 17

QTCakes1, I know what you mean. Problem was, there are so many versions of the flower that came up when I googled them that I was overwhelmed (some of them did look like the ones I ultimately made). I then searched for gumpaste versions and a tutorial and combined a lot of what I had found into one flower. I am considering trying one more with that very tight, non-ruffled look (if I can achieve it icon_smile.gif) a la the Petalsweet version.

Thanks!

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 1:25pm
post #10 of 17

Oh you can achieve it! Look at the ones you did so far! Beautiful. icon_smile.gif

katie725 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie725 Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 1:44pm
post #11 of 17

what a foolish question..they are all beautiful! plus, people who aren't around cakes a lot or make them themselves, would be impressed by any of them!

geri4292adams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geri4292adams Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 1:45pm
post #12 of 17

C, is the one....yes definately go with C, icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 1:57pm
post #13 of 17

I like C the best.

Elcee Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 5:10pm
post #14 of 17

OK, I did a fourth flower this morning...I don't think it's as pretty as the others but I do think it's more realistic. It's not dusted or steamed yet so please bear that in mind! As long as the dusting looks good I think I'll go
with this one. I'll keep the other for either my mom's or my daughter's birthday cake as they both love them. Thanks everyone for all your input icon_biggrin.gif

[img]Image

If attaching the IMG doesn't work, here's a link http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g357/lindacloutier/Misc/07111110511.jpg

Thanks again!

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 9:00pm
post #15 of 17

i think the last one is the one that actually looks most like a ranunculus. the others are beautiful flowers, but i think thinning out the petals and keeping the shape and tightness of the last one would be the most realistic.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 5:40am
post #16 of 17

After doing a Google search I have to agree with lorieleann. The tighter flower but thinner petals. There are a few varieties but the tight flower is the one I believe most people identify with. Love the color BTW.

Elcee Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 1:27pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWinslow

Love the color BTW.

Thanks, it's based on David's Bridal's "Wisteria" and I mixed violet and burgundy gel color to get it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%