Freezing Question

Decorating By lsmithbendor Updated 10 Jul 2011 , 8:01pm by carmijok

lsmithbendor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsmithbendor Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 2

I know this has been addressed somewhere here, but every search I do ends up with an "Error 404 - not found" message and I'm losing my mind!

I am doing a baby shower cake for a friend this saturday. Originally, I had plenty of time...but some things came up and now I'm going to need to bake the cake early - Like wednesday night. I feel like I need to freeze the cake so it will have some semblance of freshness...but i've never frozen a cake and I don't want to muck it up! Suggestions PLEASE - freeze the cake only? crumb coat and freeze? how do I defrost before I ice it?

The cake is a gift and it's important to me it comes out well. If there's a thread on cake freezing and someone could even just point me in that direction, I'd really appreciate it!

1 reply
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 2

I always freeze my cakes. Bake on Tuesday and freeze then fill, frost and decorate either the day of or the day before delivery usually on Saturday. Yes, there 's been tons written about freezing cakes. If you wrap them tightly in saran wrap they'll be fine. I cool mine before wrapping and freezing. I even fill and crumbcoat while it's frozen. They're always moist and delicious! And I know because I'm usually invited to the events where they're being served.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%