What Gauge Wire To Use?

Decorating By lupitt Updated 11 Jul 2011 , 1:22am by JenniferMI

lupitt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lupitt Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 11

Hello,

I'm new here and an absolute novice when it comes to cakes. I just tend make them for family occasions.

I'm doing a ruby anniversary cake for my parents and want to make stars on wires (see what I mean about novice? I'm sure they have a posh term!). What gauge wire should I be getting? I was thinking 26 but have read of others using 18 or 20. Also do I need to glue the end of the wire prior to sticking in the star? Can I use egg white as a glue or not?

Thankfully I've just read the 'wires in cakes thread', and have made a mental note to order coffee straws; so I shouldn't be poisoning any of the family!

Thanks in advance and sorry for the many questions!!

10 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 11

I use whatever holds what I am hanging from the tier. But mostly #18 is pretty good.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:21pm
post #3 of 11

If you want the stars to wobble back and forth use a thinner gauge, this is really fun and whimsical. If not, a heavier gauge.
I dip the ends in gum paste glue (a glue made from a little ball of gum paste dissolved in water.) You could use egg whites especially if they will not be eaten.
BtW since you are a newbie. Edna, the above poster, is the queen of caking and super generous with her knowledge. Check out her web site and all her tutorials on youtube. Welcome to the cake world and cakecentral icon_smile.gif
You are also welcomed to check out my page on facebook, "Freedom Cakes!"
Happy Caking!

tonedna Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorelle

If you want the stars to wobble back and forth use a thinner gauge, this is really fun and whimsical. If not, a heavier gauge.
I dip the ends in gum paste glue (a glue made from a little ball of gum paste dissolved in water.) You could use egg whites especially if they will not be eaten.
BtW since you are a newbie. Edna, the above poster, is the queen of caking and super generous with her knowledge. Check out her web site and all her tutorials on youtube. Welcome to the cake world and cakecentral icon_smile.gif
You are also welcomed to check out my page on facebook, "Freedom Cakes!"
Happy Caking!

Thanks Sorelle!! You are too sweet.

I use for my glue Tylose dissolve in water. But gumpaste glue works just as well. The eggwhites are used too as long as you dont want to eat them just as Sorelle said!
Edna icon_smile.gif

lupitt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lupitt Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 11:40pm
post #5 of 11

Thank you both so much! Edna I saw your superb tutorial on youtube about making bows/ribbons and will be using the wax paper technique - thank you!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 11

Edna, I want to make the tylose glue. How much tylose and how much water?

Sandy

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 12:21am
post #7 of 11

Lupitt....I have nothing to add to the above posts except to welcome you to CakeCentral. I've been baking for 50+years and I still learn something new here every day. You'll meet the kindest, most generous, utterly creative bakers from all over the world. Most of all, you will be welcomed and helped with even the most basic questions any novice might have. CC is truly a remarkable and supportive social network. WELCOME

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 12:24am
post #8 of 11

When you're using unpainted wire, you can heat the end of it in a candle flame and then stick it into the fondant cutout, as an alternative to using gum glue or egg white.

tonedna Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 7:06pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gscout73

Edna, I want to make the tylose glue. How much tylose and how much water?

Sandy

I go by eye..you can take a 1/2 cup of hot water and
add 1/4 teaspoon of tylose to the water. Stirr it well
to dissolve and allow to cool. Stirr often while it cools
down.
If its too thin you can add more tylose or if its too thick you can
add more water.
Edna icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 7:07pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupitt

Thank you both so much! Edna I saw your superb tutorial on youtube about making bows/ribbons and will be using the wax paper technique - thank you!

Anytime! Hope it helps!
Edna icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 1:22am
post #11 of 11

I'm with Edna, see how heavy what you are trying to display is. If it droops use a heavier wire.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%