Chocolate Ganache

Baking By Bean123 Updated 16 Jul 2011 , 3:56am by pieceacake830

Bean123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bean123 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 18

just wondered what the best recipe for chocolate ganache is? I've found several different recipes and the ratio of cream to chocolate seems to be very inconsistent.

17 replies
aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 18

ive always used 2 parts chocolate to one part cream. sometimes it may need to be altered depending on the weather. but just slightly.
HTH

jlcalvert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlcalvert Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 18

I asked this question myself not too long ago. This is what I decided to use. HTH

http://www.easy-cake-ideas.com/chocolate-ganache.html

CAC74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAC74 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcalvert

I asked this question myself not too long ago. This is what I decided to use. HTH

http://www.easy-cake-ideas.com/chocolate-ganache.html

Is this something that is safe to be left out? Or do your cakes need to be refrigerated when filled with this? (Sorry, new to ganache....)

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 18

CAC74 Its perfectly fine to leave your ganache out of the fridge.
Due to the boiling of the cream.

Bluehue.

CAC74 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

Bluehue.

Thanks thumbs_up.gif Do you know how long it lasts, refrigerated AND room temp?

Bluehue Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 6:38pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAC74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

Bluehue.

Thanks thumbs_up.gif Do you know how long it lasts, refrigerated AND room temp?

Not knowing where you live on plane earth - or what your temp is at the moment - i can only say...
I have made it - left it on my counter overnight in summer time - and its been 100% fine the next day when i used it.
Winter time(as it is now here where i live) i leave it on my bench for 3 days - and again 100% fine.

Bluehue

jlcalvert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlcalvert Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 6:45pm
post #8 of 18

I am new to ganache too. Thanks for answering Blue!!!

Bluehue Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 7:20pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcalvert

I am new to ganache too. Thanks for answering Blue!!!

Your most welcome - make it and use it - its a wonderful medium to use when caking.
Either as a filling or to cover a cake before covering in fondant.
Or just as a top coat.
Plus its very mourish.thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

Blue

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 2:32am
post #10 of 18

I just made a batch of ganache, and no matter how long I stir it, it still is lumpy.... this is the second time i am trying this, and both times it came out the same way... The first time I thought the chocolate wasn't melted enough, so this time I melted the chocolate all the way before i stired in the boiling cream..

What am I doing wrong? I used 16 oz cream, 2 tbsp butter, and 24 oz semi sweet chocolate chips... Its almost as if the chocolate is seizing... icon_confused.gif which if you think about it, cream is water based, so is that what is happening? what do I have to do to get it to be nice and smooth?

Bluehue Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 3:15am
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceacake830

I just made a batch of ganache, and no matter how long I stir it, it still is lumpy.... this is the second time i am trying this, and both times it came out the same way... The first time I thought the chocolate wasn't melted enough, so this time I melted the chocolate all the way before i stired in the boiling cream.. What am I doing wrong? I used 16 oz cream, 2 tbsp butter, and 24 oz semi sweet chocolate chips... Its almost as if the chocolate is seizing... icon_confused.gif which if you think about it, cream is water based, so is that what is happening? what do I have to do to get it to be nice and smooth?

Another suggestion is and its time consumming - but you can grate your chocolate - then when the cream has come to the boil - pour it over the grated chocolate.
I don't *always* wait 5 minutes before stirring - if i am time poor (god i hate that saying icon_rolleyes.gif ) then i just start stirring as soon as i pour the cream over.

Hmmm - water based Cream - don't know of that.
I use Full Cream.
The higher the fat content in your cream - the better your ganache will be.

Hope these tips can help you pieceacake.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 4:01am
post #12 of 18

Melting Chocolate
Chop the chocolate.
Boil the cream.
Pour the cream over the chocolate.
Let it sit 2 minutes until the chocolate appears to be melting.
Stir until smooth.

Quote:
Quote:

Its perfectly fine to leave your ganache out of the fridge. Due to the boiling of the cream.

And you Local Council Health Department is fine with that ? Different rules for different states ..

As for water in cream ...

Composition of cream [depends on the breed, feed, environment]
Water 45.45 - 68.2%
Fat 25 - 60%
Protein 1.69 - 2.54%
Lactose 2.47 - 3.71%
Ash 0.37 - 0.56%
Total solids 31.8 -54.55%
Solids not fat 4.55 - 6.80%

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 4:05am
post #13 of 18

I also read here how additives in the "chips" to help hold their shape can interfere in ganache. So some people had better luck with chopped baker's chocolate squares, or the like.

I would try different chips, or chocolate form. I use Nestle chips, and have no problems like what you describe.

GL

myheartsdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myheartsdesire Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 4:26am
post #14 of 18

Chop your chocolate( I used a 1:1 ratio for my filling and it was great icon_smile.gif tasted like truffle filling) Put chocolate in a bowl. Heat cream to almost boiling pour over chopped chocolate and immediately cover with plastic wrap. Let stand for a few minutes, then take wrap off and gently stir ( figure 8 with a rubber spatula works well) till perfectly chocolatey smooth.

If your chocolate goes lumpy you may have gotten water in it. Even the slightest bit in chocolate makes it sieze, then there is no turning back.... icon_sad.gif

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 5:28am
post #15 of 18

Also, some people I have seen using a stick blender to get every last little lump out of it, but this does add a fair bit of air into the ganache. But thats not an issue if you're using it to cover a cake before fondant-ing.

CAC74 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 5:56am
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzi

Melting Chocolate

Quote:
Quote:

Its perfectly fine to leave your ganache out of the fridge. Due to the boiling of the cream.

And you Local Council Health Department is fine with that ? Different rules for different states ..

What are your views on safety of ganache? How long is it good for once it's made? How long can you store it, in or out of fridge? And what about if you put it as a filling in cake? Will your cake then need to stay refridgerated? Thanks......

Bluehue Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 9:34am
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzi

Melting Chocolate
Chop the chocolate.
Boil the cream.
Pour the cream over the chocolate.
Let it sit 2 minutes until the chocolate appears to be melting.
Stir until smooth.

Quote:
Quote:

And you Local Council Health Department is fine with that ?
Why - what is in it to go rancid - if you know ganache then you know the answer.... Different rules for different states ....nothing what so ever to do with different states or councils.... show me one that tells you otherwise....but then you could be just looking to argue the point - why i have no idea- its ganache - it doesn't *sit* in the fridge - show me a fine chocolate shop that has their truffles in the fridge - and not in a display cabinet .... for the simple fact - they know about ganache and what the fridge does to them.......like i do.

As for water in cream ...

Composition of cream [depends on the breed, feed, environment]
Water 45.45 - 68.2%
Fat 25 - 60%
Protein 1.69 - 2.54%
Lactose 2.47 - 3.71%
Ash 0.37 - 0.56%
Total solids 31.8 -54.55%
Solids not fat 4.55 - 6.80%

One would by the cream that has the highest fat content - and it also depends on the manufacture making the cream - and what market they aim for... there are other manufactures that supply good cream other than what you buy in woollies or coles.

Bluehue

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 3:56am
post #18 of 18

Update: I made another batch of ganache tonight, and it left out the Tbsp of butter, and it did have some lumpy looking areas, but when I whipped it, they are all gone now... I used the same cream, and the same chocolate chips... its by no means perfectly smooth, but it is a big improvement from what I had last time... This time i did use a raspberry flavoring from Lorann oils... OMG its so good! Whipped dark chocolate raspberry ganache is my new favorite! Its so good I don't care if it has lumps in it! I'll eat it with a spoon anyway! LOL

Thanks for the input!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%