Covering A Sphere With Fondant

Decorating By mistresslucille

mistresslucille Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistresslucille Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 1

Hi! I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but I searched and couldn't find an answer.

I've had a request for a 'bomb' cake, for one of my old tutor's son's birthday. I'd quite like to do a 3D cake using a ball pan, but my problem is with decorating. I'm still learning about fondant, particularly black fondant as it tends to be so much softer and stickier! I've had a couple of moments when I've rolled out fondant to cover a large cake, then it's all stuck to the worksurface, or it's broken over the rolling pin, or hasn't quite been big enough to cover the cake... so I'm a little anxious. I'm sure it would take a LOT of fondant to cover a sphere!

One way I've considered doing it is covering each cake (i.e. each half sphere) separately, and then sandwiching them together already covered, but I'm concerned about the 'seam' where the two halves meet. Would there be an easy way to disguise this? Is covering them separately even feasible? I can always do a 2D half-sphere cake if need be, but I'd love to be able to do a 3D one. I just don't want to spoil her son's birthday by ruining his cake!

Any advice, discussion or stories about spherical cakes welcome! I need all the help I can get!

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%