Can I "paint" On Molded Chocolate?

Sugar Work By jewels710 Updated 8 Jul 2011 , 2:03pm by tiggy2

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 8

I have used lustre dust on chcolate before, but I am wondering if I can "paint" on chocolate? Either with (edible) airbrush color of regular food coloring.
Or something else?

Just wondering if anyone knew.
Thanks.

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 3:38pm
post #2 of 8

Yes, but.................It is very difficult.
Frances Kuyper (The original "CakeLady") show us in a class yrs ago how to do it. As I remember you spray the item w/Baker's Joy (or similar); wipe most of it off w/paper towel, then use airbrush colors to paint.
Anyway, that's how I rememver it from some 20 yrs ago.

megpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megpi Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 12:40am
post #3 of 8

I believe, if you're using white chocolate, you can paint in it with melted cocoa butter mixed with powdered color.

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 12:40pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks, I will have to give these a try!

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 1:07pm
post #5 of 8

I painted on molded chocolate with powdered food coloring mixed with vodka.

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 1:26pm
post #6 of 8

From what I understand....You can use pearl dusts to add a colored sheen. As far as painting on chocolate (because this is something I have been looking into also), I'm in agreement w/megpi...you have to use colored cocoa butter. Because chocolate is "oil" based, water based food colorings or gels (like Wilton) bead on the surface. You have to paint with something that is also "oil" based, edible and that dries. I actually went on line last week and found 3 suppliers that sell edible colored cocoa butter. I do not have those names on me now but if you would like to PM me I will be glad to share them with you. I got a book called "Pop Bakery" and this is how I found out about painting with cocoa butter.

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 1:31pm
post #7 of 8

Oh! One more thing...I did purchase some "candy decorating pens" the other day from Wilton. I think they are just candy melts in a tube that you warm up in hot water. I actually never ended up using them.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 2:03pm
post #8 of 8

I painted the chocolate frame, in my graduation cake photo, with gold luster dust mixed with vodka. It took several coats as it beads up. Let it dry between coats.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%