How Was This Coconut Made?

Decorating By ajwonka Updated 10 Jul 2011 , 7:45pm by tonedna

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 12:11am
post #1 of 13

I've send a PM to the creator but, any idea how the shell of this coconut is made?

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1973833

Perhaps chocolate wrap - but the cake side isn't flat. Is there a tool that will rough up fondant like that?

Thanks for your help!

12 replies
KalliCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KalliCakes Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 12:18am
post #2 of 13

Modeling chocolate and use little cuticle scissors? Could use a razor blade on it too.... Good luck!

Jennifer1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer1970 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 12:24am
post #3 of 13

Looks like chocolate frosting piped using the grass tip.

Jesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jesa Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 12:29am
post #4 of 13

I think if I were going to try to replicate that I would turn the cake upside down (or cover the top with parchment) and do melted chocolate piped through a thin tip (like 2 or 3 max) or the grass tip. Maybe do part milk choc, some dark to get some color variation?

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 12:44am
post #5 of 13

I'm going to guess its melted chocolate piped through a very small tip directly over a buttercream base. If you magnify the pic I think its possible to see the buttercream through the piped chocolate in places. Please let us know if the creator tells you how it was done.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 3:06am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer1970

Looks like chocolate frosting piped using the grass tip.

That's how I would do it.
Start at the bottom and go up.
Rae

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 9:24am
post #7 of 13

How about adding some chocolate sprinkles - just a thought

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 4:00pm
post #8 of 13

I am no doubt waaay off base, but from the picture it looks like brown flax seeds pressed on. I really can't see individual "threads" like what would be expected with a grass tip or such.
Oh well, it is fun to speculate. I am anxious to hear if you find out anything from the creator.

Jan

MyOccasionalCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyOccasionalCakes Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 5:28pm
post #9 of 13

Looks to me like chocolate fondant scruffed up with a blade of some kind and then painted over to bring out the texture. At least that's how I would replicate it. Good Luck!

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 6:25pm
post #10 of 13

The cake is in the June 2011 summer issue of Food Network magazine, only they call the cake, Tiki Cocktail cake.
FN insructions state coat the outside of the cake with toasted coconut, but I like really like the looks of the chocolate frosting piped or dabbed on instead. It makes it look more like a real coconut.

I used my magnifying glass as well as enlarging the cake photo on my screen, but still couldn't quite figure out how the chocolate icing was added. It almost looks as though its been dabbed on rambly with a small skinny spatua and spread upwards. Will be interesting to see if the member answers back with her how to.

The coconut shape, is achieved by baking two 1 quart bowls, and one six inch round.

Photo and how's to are on the link. thumbs_up.gif

http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/delegate.do?fnSearchString=tiki+cocktail+cake&fnSearchType=site

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 12:12am
post #11 of 13

Thanks for all of your ideas! I got a pm back from the Creator. She covered it with ganache & roughed it up with a fork after it dried!

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 7:32pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwonka

I've send a PM to the creator but, any idea how the shell of this coconut is made?

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1973833

Perhaps chocolate wrap - but the cake side isn't flat. Is there a tool that will rough up fondant like that?

Thanks for your help!

Last month in Food Network Magazine, they made a coconut cake using two round metal bowls and a 6 inch layer pan. The frosted the cake and covered it with toasted coconut and it was really good looking. Here's the link:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/tiki-cocktail-cake-recipe/index.html

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 7:45pm
post #13 of 13

Looks like buttercream that has been played with a fork
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%