Must Have Cake Cookbooks

Baking By Rae9 Updated 8 Jul 2011 , 3:08am by imagenthatnj

Rae9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rae9 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 5

I am wanting to purchase a couple of cake cookbooks and I am wondering if any of you have any recommendations of books you could not live with out. Thanks!

4 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 11:05pm
post #2 of 5

I could not live without "The Cake Mix Doctor" by Ane Byrn. Here's a link to half.com, a really cheap way to buy the book (cost plus $4.00 shipping). http://product.half.ebay.com/_W0QQprZ223860

Although she has written a lot of follow-up books, you won't need them--just the original listed above.

This second suggestion is ONLY if you are interested in the older, traditional buttercream/royal icing techniques of 30-40 years ago. If you are interested only in modern cakes, then the following will not be of interest. There are 3 books, now out of print, printed by Wilton in the 1970's. These 3 Encyclopedias have ALL the information you could ever need on buttercream and royal icing techniques.

There are 3 volumes, 1, 2 and 3 and they illustrate all the "old" techniques, which of course, were mostly BC. They show how to pipe people and animals and all sorts of stuff!

The Wilton Way of Cake Decorating, Volume One
ISBN 0912696044
Originally published in 1974.

The Wilton Way of Cake Decorating, Volume Two
ISBN 0912696117
Originally published 1977

The Wilton Way of Cake Decorating, Volume Three
ISBN 0912696168
Originally published 1979

If you search online to purchase, BE VERY SURE they are the Encyclopedia Volumes 1, 2 or 3. Many book sellers list the wrong books! (They will list any of a number of old Wilton books that will not be what you want.) My versions say on the cover of each book "Volume 1, A complete encyclopedia" (and so on for Vol 2 and 3).

Modern cakes came along with the internet, so you can find just about anything you want for free online.

Rae9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rae9 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I will definately look into those books!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 5

You're very welcome! I started caking in March 2010 with my first Wilton class at a local Michaels. I'd NEVER had a "crafty/bakey" bone in my body, but decided to take the course on a whim to make a few birthday cakes for my great niece/nephews. Well......today my home is COMPLETELY taken over with cake stuff and it has become an obsession/passion. I do not want to do anything but hobby baking because I'm on disability with COPD and quite often don't have the health to commit to purchased cakes due on a specific date.

Since I'm retired and have lots of time, I haunted the internet looking for the best learning books/tools etc. I actually purchased about 20 books but have actually only used 2: The Cake Mix Doctor and the Whimsical Bakehouse which was only used once for inspiration for a large cake for a teacher. Even though I haven't utilized the 1970's encyclopedias yet, I KNOW I will as I progress. It is very comforting to have all that information on hand.

Happy Caking!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 3:08am
post #5 of 5

Sky High: Irresistible Triple-Layer Cakes by Alisa Huntsman
Every recipe a delicious combination. My friends and I are making every one of those cakes.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0811854485/?tag=cakecentral-20

CakeLove: How to Bake Cakes from Scratch by Warren Brown

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1584796626/?tag=cakecentral-20

Great cakes on both books. Alisa's uses a lot of cake flour. Her cakes are delicious, with a tender crumb, and most of them very easy to make.

Warren Brown's cakes are made with regular flour most of them, and he adds potato starch to lower the protein content of the regular flour. Uses a lot of liquors, but in small amounts, not overpowering at all.

I have a ton of books and I constantly bake from these two. A friend was telling me last night that it's almost as if she won't ever need another book to bake from.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%