A Dumb Question...

Baking By Wildgirl Updated 7 Jul 2011 , 3:45am by scp1127

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 4:07am
post #1 of 20

Can't you just take any cake recipe and make cupcakes out of it?

19 replies
Cargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cargal Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 4:16am
post #2 of 20

Sounds logical. I don't see why not, just adjust baking time. I was just thinking today of making a blueberry pound cake into cupcakes so it's easier servings for the kiddos.

mo_gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mo_gateaux Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 4:17am
post #3 of 20

not dumb at all! my answer would be yes. only thing to keep in mind is bake time. I would say 15-18 minutes for cupcakes at 350. I would be interested in knowing why if the answer is no from anybody.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 4:21am
post #4 of 20

Some of my scratch recipes tend to pull away from the cupcake papers....

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 4:22am
post #5 of 20

In most cases yes - but I do have 2 or 3 scratch recipes that do not turn out well as cupcakes just due to their natures - Fabulous cakes though.

pastrygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirls Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 4:32am
post #6 of 20

ive run across lots of cake recipes that dont work well as cupcakes. they shrink, and pull away from the papers. usually, if you're using a heavier cake like pound cake, it'll work fine. it's the lighter sponge cakes that seem to be the problem.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 4:32am
post #7 of 20

Same experience as cake-angel.

teresamariegross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teresamariegross Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 4:58am
post #8 of 20

I use Pillsbury Plus and it has been perfect every time. No pull aways and no shrinking.

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 4:29pm
post #9 of 20

I would go with a yes but I notice that some recipes tend to dome/rise more than others

louanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louanne Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 5:03pm
post #10 of 20

most are a yes, however many scratch recipes do not turn out well as cupcakes, usually adjusting some of the ingredients helps. I actually just have a couple of basic recipes i use then add fruits, flavorings etc to them to make different flavors and then almost all my cupcakes have fillings. when i found my few recipes that make excellent cupcakes i just have stuck with them and even adding extra ingredients hasnt affected the final products quality.

soapy_hopie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soapy_hopie Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 10:54pm
post #11 of 20

sometime the cake batter is too runny to make into cupcakes.....i have one recipe that makes a really runny batter for a cake (which is yummy) but it just doesn't wok for cupcakes......but most recipes will work fine

instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 11:20pm
post #12 of 20

I know that the Hershey's Chocolate Collector's Cocoa Cake in the recipes section is great as a cake, but it makes pretty dry cupcakes. Some recipes need to be adjusted. It's usually trial and error though...

scp1127 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 1:08am
post #13 of 20

I find the Hershey's extremely moist. I have other chocolate recipes, but this is in the pile of good ones.

instant-gratificaketion Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 1:18am
post #14 of 20

scp, I know that the Hershey's Perfect Chocolate Cake recipe is extremely moist, but I've used the Collector's recipe a few times and it made dry cupcakes until I tweaked it. I think there's also a comment on the recipe post from someone else stating that they liked it for cake but not cupcakes. Hmm. Might have to look at it again.

scp1127 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 1:31am
post #15 of 20

Instant, I didn't read carefully enough. I was referring to the Perfect one. So many people attempt scratch cakes and overbake them. That's why I threw it out there. I then suggest some subs and to check the temp. I'm not familiar with the one that you mentioned. I'll look that up. How does it compare to the Perfect Chocolate cake? I have started using a recipe that uses Guittard DP Cocoa Powder. But I still like that Hershey's cake.

instant-gratificaketion Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 1:38am
post #16 of 20

In my opinion the Perfect and the Collector's are completely different. Moisture, texture, crumb...I bet the Collector might be the "carvable" version or the firmer version. One uses butter and the other oil. Regular water to boiling.

scp1127 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 2:09am
post #17 of 20

Which is better? Or is the carving ability the difference? I don't carve cakes, but if it tastes better, it may be worth trying.

teresamariegross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teresamariegross Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 2:16am
post #18 of 20

this is a great site with a huge amount of cupcake recipes
http://www.cupcakerecipes.com/

instant-gratificaketion Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 7:53pm
post #19 of 20

They're both pretty good, but I have received better reviews of the Perfect one over the Collector's.

scp1127 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 3:45am
post #20 of 20

Thanks Instant. I use that recipe in cakes and cupcakes where I don't want the chocolate cake to be front and center. If I use a bold cake, frosting, and filling, I am not as happy with the results. I love the way it blends with other flavors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%