Frozen Crumb Coated. Add Final Coat While Still Frozen?

Decorating By Limpy Updated 3 Jul 2011 , 10:17pm by tbkimber

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 5

I have a wedding cake due this weekend. As I am pressed for time, I filled, crumb coated & froze the three tiers.Can I remove the cakes from the freezer & add the final buttercream coat while the cakes are still frozen, or do I have to wait for them to thaw before adding the final coat?

4 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 5

Did you allow them any time to settle before you froze them? If not, you might want to let them thaw and settle before putting on your final coat of icing. You don't want any sagging or drooping, if you can help it.

LSW929 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LSW929 Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 5

I was pressed for time once and iced my cakes while they were still frozen. When they thawed out I went to decorate them and had huge cracks in the icing.I'm assuming it was because the cake expanded as it thawed. I now wait until they are thawed and haven't had a problem. HTH

JenTwirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenTwirl Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 5

I always ice my cakes, especially wedding cakes while they are frozen. Just make sure you use a crusting buttercream and you should be fine =)

tbkimber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbkimber Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 5

I use Italian Buttercream and I found that when I applied it to a frozen cake the butter started firming up really quickly. It made it harder to work with and smooth, so always thaw my cakes before the final coat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%