Just A Funny Story.

Decorating By CakinKimi Updated 3 Jul 2011 , 3:27am by mim1106

CakinKimi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakinKimi Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 11:14pm
post #1 of 22

Well I think it's funny...

I have only been on this website for a few weeks now but I have noticed how many people critisize store bought cakes. Up until I started reading the posts about store bought cakes I never really thought anything about them, never really looked at them unless it was someone's birthday and then I would usually just go in and pick one and let that be that. WELL, in just the short time I have been on this website I have turned into one of "those" people.

Yup, I was in Winn-Dixie earlier today and I walked over to the cakes to try and get an idea for a 4th of July cake my mom wants me to make for the BBQ we are supposed to be having. Well one of the cakes I saw had what looked like a finger print all the way through the icing from about the middle of the cake to the border and (this is the one that really suprised me) another 4th of July cake had EASTER sprinkles on it, little bunnies and chicks in pink, yellow and purple! SERIOUSLY????!!!

Nope, no real point to this post, just thought it was kinda funny.

21 replies
LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 22

Welcome to the club! icon_wink.gif

CakinKimi Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 22

LOL Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 11:24pm
post #4 of 22

We call ourselves "Cake Snobs" and I purposely go by the bakery center at my store just to cringe and make fun of the lousy designs. Have my grandchildren doing it too. Every since I taught them how to decorate, they've become pre-teen cake snobs- and they're more brutal and I am.

CakinKimi Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseNH

We call ourselves "Cake Snobs" and I purposely go by the bakery center at my store just to cringe and make fun of the lousy designs. Have my grandchildren doing it too. Every since I taught them how to decorate, they've become pre-teen cake snobs- and they're more brutal and I am.

I'm seriously still laughing about the easter sprinkles, i mean, why add them?? The finger-print looking part I can semi understand, maybe the lid hit the top of the cake and they still have to sell it--ok fine. But deliberately putting easter sprinkles on a 4th of July cake?? C'mon. i showed my mom and she just laughed.

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 12:05am
post #6 of 22

Welcome CakinKimi! I am originally from Leesburg, so know right were you are! And yes, it would be funny to see Bunnies on 4th of July! Kind of makes you wonder if they forgot to pull it from back in April, did you check the date? icon_lol.gif

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 12:06am
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyCaker

Kind of makes you wonder if they forgot to pull it from back in April, did you check the date? icon_lol.gif

Oh EEEEEEEEWWWWW! icon_lol.gif

CakinKimi Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 12:07am
post #8 of 22
Quote:

Welcome CakinKimi! I am originally from Leesburg, so know right were you are! And yes, it would be funny to see Bunnies on 4th of July! Kind of makes you wonder if they forgot to pull it from back in April, did you check the date? icon_lol.gif

Wow Leesburg really isn't far from me, I'm in Ocala.

But no, I didn't check the date, I mean it was all red, white and blue and said "Happy Birthday America" on it...so I assumed it was made recently, just with some bunnies. LOL Soo weird.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 12:13am
post #9 of 22

[quote="CakinKimi"]

Quote:

I live in The Villages! I go to both towns on occasion so nice to hear from both of you.
evelyn

CakinKimi Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 12:14am
post #10 of 22

[quote="cakegrandma"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakinKimi

Quote:

I live in The Villages! I go to both towns on occasion so nice to hear from both of you.
evelyn

thumbs_up.gif Hi neighboor!!!

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 12:19am
post #11 of 22

Kimi and Grandma,

I miss my home state, it gets way too cold up here! I come home every November, maybe we can all meet up at one of the awesome restaurants at the Villages next time I am home and talk cake!! I remember when all that land was cow pasture, ha! They have done a fabulous job building that up.

I am so jealous of your Cottage Law being passed, I know you still have lots of regs to follow but will make is so much easier for you. I had to jump through so many hoops to get licensed up here. Kimi, have you ever seen John Travolta coming and going? He has a beautiful home there.

CakinKimi Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 12:21am
post #12 of 22
Quote:

Kimi and Grandma,

I miss my home state, it gets way too cold up here! I come home every November, maybe we can all meet up at one of the awesome restaurants at the Villages next time I am home and talk cake!! I remember when all that land was cow pasture, ha! They have done a fabulous job building that up.

I am so jealous of your Cottage Law being passed, I know you still have lots of regs to follow but will make is so much easier for you. I had to jump through so many hoops to get licensed up here. Kimi, have you ever seen John Travolta coming and going? He has a beautiful home there.

Ooo sounds like a good idea to me!

And no, I have never actually seen John Travolta coming or going but some friends claim they have. And everytime we are out and about and my dad sees an airplane he looks to see if it's John Travolta. LOL

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 12:53am
post #13 of 22

you know you're a cake snob when you "purposely" walk over to the walmart bakery section to make fun of the cakes. Today's 4th of July cakes: some red, white, and blue frosting with the number"4" in the middle of the cake...and that was it :p now THAT's bad! icon_lol.gif

welcome to the club! icon_biggrin.gif

CakinKimi Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 12:57am
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

you know you're a cake snob when you "purposely" walk over to the walmart bakery section to make fun of the cakes. Today's 4th of July cakes: some red, white, and blue frosting with the number"4" in the middle of the cake...and that was it :p now THAT's bad! icon_lol.gif

welcome to the club! icon_biggrin.gif

Wow! That is pretty lame. LOL

Most of the cakes I saw today were so simple that even I (who has only been cakin for a month MAX) could have done them in less than 30 minutes.

Although I have to say, I did see a pretty cake at the store today with some sort of flowers (3 of them) in the bottom right corner and vines stretching from the flowers to the top left corner almost and almost to the bottom left corner. It was very simple yet pretty.

StacyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StacyN Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 1:11am
post #15 of 22

You mean you all don't put bunny sprinkles on your 4th of July cakes??!! icon_wink.gif hehe

myheartsdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myheartsdesire Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 1:22am
post #16 of 22

How about being at an event and having to eat a grocery store cake to not offend..... Ugh =/

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 1:56am
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by myheartsdesire

How about being at an event and having to eat a grocery store cake to not offend..... Ugh =/

That is when I use the old "I am watching my weight" excuse! I just refuse to eat crap!

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 2:30am
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseNH

they've become pre-teen cake snobs- and they're more brutal and I am.

That's my 16 year old daughter too! icon_razz.gif And teenagers have NO mercy! LOL!

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 2:32am
post #19 of 22

I run a fairly large playgroup for my sons who are 3 and 4 and have been making all the kids birthday cakes for about a year.

Now you know its bad when a 4 year old insists on having a 3D Tangled tower for a birthday party at a park. They already know that the cake must be covered in fondant for it to really say birthday. LOL

My little guy saw that awesome 3D spiderman cake that was in the most saved a few days ago and is convinced that that is what he is getting when he turns 5. Guess I better start working on my skills here. LOL

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 2:51am
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by amygortoncakes

I run a fairly large playgroup for my sons who are 3 and 4 and have been making all the kids birthday cakes for about a year.

Now you know its bad when a 4 year old insists on having a 3D Tangled tower for a birthday party at a park. They already know that the cake must be covered in fondant for it to really say birthday. LOL

My little guy saw that awesome 3D spiderman cake that was in the most saved a few days ago and is convinced that that is what he is getting when he turns 5. Guess I better start working on my skills here. LOL

CakinKimi.......Welcome to CC.....GREAT place to be.....love your funny story....there are a lot of us out there....(.cake snobs)...you know.

CakinKimi Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 3:16am
post #21 of 22

Thank you to everyone who has welcomed me icon_biggrin.gif

And to everyone who said that CC is a great place, well, you are absolutely right! Although for some reason it doesn't want to work on Mozilla FireFox. Before I switched back to Internet Explorer and was able to get back on to CC I started looking at a few other cakin forums, none even compare!!!

mim1106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mim1106 Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 3:27am
post #22 of 22

My 8 yo daughter and I were in Walmart the other day (I am guilty of looking at the bakery cakes, too) and she pointed and laughed REALLY loudly. She said, "Mommy look at that cake! Yours are so much better!" I was so embarrassed!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%