Torn Meniscus, Need Surgery. Anyone Have This?

Lounge By HobbyCaker Updated 3 Jul 2011 , 2:50pm by dldbrou

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 3:41am
post #1 of 7

So, I slipped in a puddle from a melted icecube (at home) tore my medial meniscus and need to have surgery to repair it. icon_cry.gif Has anyone else had this surgery and can tell me what to expect and how long it will take to recover from it? Ortho Surgeon is telling me I'll be up and going with limitations in 3-4 days. Gosh I hope so, I have a smallish wedding the weekend after my surgery is scheduled, DH has promised to help ( it must be a cold day in $@## for that to happen icon_lol.gif or he wants something.....

Anyway any encouraging words out there?? PLEASE! thumbs_up.gif

6 replies
cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 4:05am
post #2 of 7

My DH tore the meniscus in his knee...is that the same thing? lol He had surgery about 7 yrs ago and I remember his recovery was without incident. He wore a brace for a few weeks and had some PT. He went back to work after a couple of weeks but he has a desk job.

I'm sure they've come a long way in 7 yrs. From what I've heard they can do a lot of this type of surgery with very little cutting now. (my dh has a pretty large 5" incision on his knee), I don't think that's the case anymore.

Good luck to you. Do you know when you're having the procedure?

HobbyCaker Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 7

They are doing the arthroscope type, just 3 little holes. Scheduled in 2 wks, the quickest they could get me in.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 1:53am
post #4 of 7

That's great they're able to do it that way, the recovery will be a lot quicker.

Good luck to you, I hope it goes well and that you're up and around in no time.

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 3:12am
post #5 of 7

I had the same surgery a few years ago. I could get up and move later the same day with the aid of crutches. It was very painful for the first few days, but then it slowly began to feel a little better. I was on crutches for at least a week. After that I had to be very careful. Absolutely no running or jumping. If I moved too quickly or put too much stress on my knee it would begin to hurt! So I went out and bought an elastic knee brace. The extra support from the brace seemed to help quite a bit.

I don't want to discourage you, and maybe my tear was worse then yours. But I wanted to tell you about my experience so you could be prepared. I'd hate to see you miss the deadline because your knee is still in pain.

HTH

HobbyCaker Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you for your responses. Another cake decorator in my area has offered to help should I need it. I don't think my tear is the "worse case" scenerio, but one that does need to be fixed so I am hoping for the best. I appreciate the responses!

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 2:50pm
post #7 of 7

I also have a torn meniscus and did not have the surgery. I went through therapy and now go to a therapy pool to keep it from hurting. It does still hurt when I do too much housework, but I just take Advil and keep on going. Not sure why they did not recommend surgery, it would be nice to be rid of the pain. Good Luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%