Candy Gems Are Sticky Now!

Sugar Work By Charmed Updated 29 Nov 2011 , 6:25pm by kello

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 20

I made some candy gems and now they are sticky. How do I store them so they stay dry?

19 replies
Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 2:25am
post #2 of 20

anyone?? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 2:42am
post #3 of 20

You need to store them with packets of silica gel, like they pack in shoe boxes etc. I also read if you put vegetable oil on them it will keep them shiny and protect from humidity...But, I have not tried the vegetable oil yet.

I know the first one works.. But, if you try the vegetable oil. Let me know how it works. Maybe try it on a few!!!

However, I dont know if you can bring them back wonce they are sticky and humid

nancyg Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 2:42am
post #4 of 20

You need to store them with packets of silica gel, like they pack in shoe boxes etc. I also read if you put vegetable oil on them it will keep them shiny and protect from humidity...But, I have not tried the vegetable oil yet.

I know the first one works.. But, if you try the vegetable oil. Let me know how it works. Maybe try it on a few!!!

nancyg Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 2:43am
post #5 of 20

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 4:59am
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyg

Mine kept well for a year in a sealed tupperware container on a sheet of parchment paper, in a cool, dry spot. But it is VERY dry here. They were really dull looking and I tried the vegetable oil- it works great!

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 20

Confectioner's glaze will also keep them shiny and prevent their getting sticky.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 6:44pm
post #8 of 20

My gems went sticky too, and I used the silica packs. Are they ruined or can they be saved somehow? Most are stuck together.

Thanks!

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 1:31am
post #9 of 20

I tried to make my own gems last week for a cake and after several attempts, I realized it really is best for me to just buy them already made icon_wink.gif I know they sell them on Country Kitchen website.

Not sure how you can "save" them, but I think the only thing you can do is try to pull them apart with the least amount of damage! GL

kello Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 1:45am
post #10 of 20

I agree. I tried pulling them apart and the goo was just too much. And here I though I was so ahead of the game with getting them out of the way and now I have to start all over!
Do the ready made ones stay nice? They're just so expensive for so little.

lrlt2000 Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 5:39am
post #11 of 20

I've never bought them before, but I imagine they are made with additives that we wouldn't have to make them stay dry.

I wonder if boiling your sugar/isomalt to a higher temp would make them drier or less gooey? Or if it's just the moisture in the atmosphere only. . . you'll have to search more. I found quite a bit here on isomalt gems/diamonds. Sorry I can't help more!

kello Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 1:03pm
post #12 of 20

Well I definitely did something wrong. This morning when I got up, the few I saved and tried out on the cake, where melted all down the side of it! It isn't very warm in my house at all and it's actually quite dry. I did color them black, but didn't use much gel color at all. Wonder if the color is the problem....

I'll see what I can find about isomalt. Thanks for your help.

lrlt2000 Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 3:47pm
post #13 of 20

I think you're not supposed to put them on until last minute, because they will melt from any moisture contained in whatever they are touching.

I also read somewhere about coating with chocolate the part that will be touching the cake, so it acts as a barrier to the moisture in the cake/icing/surface. But you should find something about that in your research. I'll see if I can find some of the links to the info I found when searching.

lrlt2000 Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 4:05pm
post #14 of 20

kello: did you make yours with regular sugar, versus isomalt?

I'm going to post my thread I started when I was trying this out--maybe you can just email the posters who were helping me and ask them.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-735165-0-days0-orderasc-isomalt.html

Also, SugarCraft has great info on making isomalt gems and using them. Also, I've read others who have simply melted Jolly Ranchers and used that in molds. I'm not sure what your time line is, but I'm just throwing everything out there that I remember coming across in my search.

And by the way, after two attempts, I didn't even use them! I just moistened the gum paste number and coated it in colored sugar crystals icon_smile.gif I needed to make the tiniest jewels in the molds I had, so maybe that made it that much harder to accomplish. Maybe I'll try again next time, but only if I need the larger jewels. icon_smile.gif

lrlt2000 Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 4:09pm
post #15 of 20

Sorry, the link is working for me, but it's not letting me post it here properly. If you do a search with my screen name and "isomalt" in the search term area, it should come up with my "Help: edible jewels on gum paste" thread.

lrlt2000 Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 4:11pm
post #16 of 20

It's also for some reason blocking a name!!! WTH!? Isomalt is sold on sugar craft's website, and they have information there on the topic.

kello Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 4:13pm
post #17 of 20

Yes, I used isomalt. I'm going to attempt it one more time. I will put them on at the last minute. Maybe next time I will try the jolly ranchers. Great idea.
I can't thank you enough for being so hellpful!!

lrlt2000 Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 4:17pm
post #18 of 20

Okay, kello, please PM me your real email address. . . I think I can now see why so many people are leaving CC. It keeps blocking names of things that I don't even see as 'competition' for CC. I don't get it. :/

lrlt2000 Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 3:50am
post #19 of 20

Okay, kello, I did the Jolly Rancher experiment tonight, just out of curiosity! It worked SO much better than trying from scratch.

I just put two candies in a small ramekin and microwaved until melted. I used one of those colored plastic fruit skewers (with the ball on the end) to stir and to get the mixture into the jewel cavities (using the ball end sort of like a honey wand).

This was easier to work with! I'm actually going to try something else with these icon_wink.gif

kello Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 6:25pm
post #20 of 20

That is terrific!!! They would taste so much better too. Some of my gems are pretty small, so thanks for the tip on the little skewers.
You are awesome!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%