Cake Tier Separator

Decorating By bbstephan Updated 30 Jun 2011 , 12:04am by CWR41

bbstephan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbstephan Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 6

I must make a four tier cake (6-8-10-12) and need separation between the 8" and 10" to put a ring of sugar flowers. The bride does not want the flowers to extend past the 8" round- wants it more like 7" width and 4" tall under the 8" tier. What is the best support to use? I've only ever used straws and a middle dowel to support tiers, with no separation. What do I use to support the 6" and 8"? Is a 6" styrofoam dummy with the flowers stuck in it strong enough to support those two tiers (and then a dowel down through the cakes)? I appeciate your feedback!

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 6

If you'll switch to SPS, you use the CG-4s legs for the regular tiers and the multi-piece set to create the separation.

bbstephan Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 6

I unfortunately do not have time to order that system...would the 6" cake dummy work for support for the 6" and 8" on top of it?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 9:35pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbstephan

I unfortunately do not have time to order that system...would the 6" cake dummy work for support for the 6" and 8" on top of it?

Yes, a 6" dummy will support the weight of the above tiers.

bbstephan Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 6

Okay, thanks! Would I be pushing it if I used a 5" dummy? I realized that using a 6" would give me hardly any room for the flowers!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 12:04am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbstephan

Okay, thanks! Would I be pushing it if I used a 5" dummy? I realized that using a 6" would give me hardly any room for the flowers!

A 5" dummy would certainly handle the weight... your 6" and 8" tiers including buttercream wouldn't weigh more than 7 lbs. I'm sure a 1" cube of styrofoam could withstand a lot more than 7 lbs. of pressure.

Because it will be top heavy, as long as you are skewering the foam well, it won't topple.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%