What To Charge As A Beginner

Decorating By becs1111 Updated 29 Jun 2011 , 8:10pm by TexasSugar

becs1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becs1111 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Everyone,

As someone totally new to this I need some advice! I just took my first decorating course from Wilton and made a cake for my social committee at work. After, the lady asked me what they owed me and I said I will charge 25 dollars for a 9x 13. (its a one layer, or one cake mix worth) They needed more than a 9x 13 so I also made a 9 inch round with just one layer. I charged $10 for that one. So I told her she owed 35 dollars and I could tell she was not pleased. Now I feel bad and am wondering if I charged too much since I just took my first course a year ago and don't have an official business or anything. Everyone commented on how good the cake was, though I will admit it was a simple design as I am just starting. The ingredients cost $8.50 and then I have to take into consideration all the decorating supplies I need and my time. I know that some of you will charge way more because you have way more talent, experience and are running a business. Do you think I charged too much considering I am just starting and it was for a group at my work? Any advice would be much appreciated!

4 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 5

$35 seems more than fair for a 9x13 and a 9" round, the $26.50 premium covers your time, and if it took 2 hours that's about $13/hour.

However before you charge for future cakes you will want to make sure you can legally sell food made in your home kitchen. In some states this is legal, but other states require a licensed and inspected commercial kitchen if you want to be compensated for your cakes.

adamsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsmom Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 5

In my area that would be more than fair. I charge $33 for a single layer 9X13 and $18 for a 9'' single. If you decide to go ahead and pursue this you'll find numerous customers that will ask you how much something costs and then balk at the cost. I do agree with jason_kraft in that I would talk with the local health dept icon_lol.gif

kneenah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneenah Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 7:51pm
post #4 of 5

my question is, did u first charge her $25 then when u gave the cake u charged her $35 cuz thats wrong..... I feel $35 was ok..from what they teached me in that wilton class was u mutiply the material by 3...

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneenah

from what they teached me in that wilton class was u mutiply the material by 3...

Check out this post about the times three idea:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6475557#6475557

When pricing a cake, you really want to consider not only your cost of supplies (not just ingredients) but also your labor as well as any profit you want to make.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-694973-pricing.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%