Ice Cream Cake Frosting

Baking By sweetpeacakemom Updated 29 Jun 2011 , 10:49pm by creativethoughts

sweetpeacakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpeacakemom Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 5:30am
post #1 of 5

I am making my husband an ice cream cake and am wondering if the frosting (equal parts of whip cream and ice cream) will bleed onto the cake if I color it. I've never done this, and don't have time for a trial run. Advice please! Also, anyone have any different recipe for the frosting?

Please and thank you!

4 replies
KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 5:45am
post #2 of 5

I've always just used Cool Whip for the icing on Ice Cream Cakes. Make sure that's it's completely thawed before you add any color.

HTH
Kat

creativethoughts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creativethoughts Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 6:23am
post #3 of 5

OH- I just made a batch of vanilla Ice Cream bc and it's amazing! but you do have to keep in in the fridge at least!

1/4 C. Butter
3/4 C. Vanilla Ice Cream
1/2 tsp. Vanilla ex.
4 C. Powdered Sugar

Let butter stand at room temp for 30 min. and Ice Cream stand at room temp for 10 min. Beat Butter at medium speed until fluffy. Beat in 1/2 C. Ice Cream and 1/2 tsp. V-ex. Beat in 4 C. Powdered Sugar. If necessary, stir in additional Ice Cream, 1 Tbls. at a time, to making frosting piping or spreading consistency.

I made 1 and 1/2 recipe to frost 24 cupcakes. Piped frosting, it was a little hard at first but then started to melt at the end. You should keep it in the fridge, or freezer until just before you serve it!

*recipe from: Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest F...(?): Cupcakes, pg #21 under Root Beer Float Cupcakes!

sweetpeacakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpeacakemom Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you for the recipe!! did you color it and did it bleed through? I will definitely try this out icon_smile.gif

creativethoughts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creativethoughts Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 5

I didnt color it but I dont think it will bleed. It seems stiff enough when cold that it will all stay together. Just keep it cold and you should be good!

I just uploaded the pic's of my Root-beer float cupcakes to my profile, if you want to take a look!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%