How Do We Know If A Icing Color Gone Bad ?

Decorating By shikhamj Updated 29 Jun 2011 , 3:27pm by momg9

shikhamj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shikhamj Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 7

I have a black wilton icing color, I am not sure if its gone bad, It changes it color when I try to paint on fondant using pure white vanilla essence or vodka. Please any one have an idea what is happening.. and how do we know if a color is gone bad.. Thank you icon_smile.gif

6 replies
AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 7

Lemme guess. It turns green?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 7

The only thing that's wrong is that it's Wilton. Get some Americolor super black and it doesn't do that.

Wilton's black is made from purple and green, but when you mix it with alcohol, or even if you leave it out with light shining on it, the purple will fade and you'll just end up with the green.

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 10:06pm
post #4 of 7

Wilton black is terrible for any application. Take the advice given, and buy Americolor super black, you'll be amazed at the difference.

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 3:50am
post #5 of 7

yes the difference between americolors and wilton are day and night.

It doesn't take much either. where wilton is the whole bottle and it changes colors no matter if it is black or purple ... and very hard to get red.

I am going to hobby lobby friday to pick up a few colors to replace the wilton colors that i tossed out or have leaked all over my shelf. that is also why i like the americolor is the way it is packaged. not in leaky bottles.

shikhamj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shikhamj Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 7

Yup you guessed it right it turns green,... I never knew these facts thank you all so much for sharing.. I am glad I am a part of this forum .. I get to know so many good stuff.. icon_biggrin.gif

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 3:27pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

The only thing that's wrong is that it's Wilton. Get some Americolor super black and it doesn't do that.

Wilton's black is made from purple and green, but when you mix it with alcohol, or even if you leave it out with light shining on it, the purple will fade and you'll just end up with the green.

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%