Smooth Icing

Baking By LaDulceVida Updated 1 Jul 2011 , 7:53am by sweettreat101

LaDulceVida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaDulceVida Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone! I am a newbie and would like to know of any icing recipes that can be smoothed out on a cake (to make it look really smooth). I've tried icing with powdered sugar and I can't ever get the granules completey dissolved and it doesn't smooth onto the cake either. Any recipes or ideas on how to get icing super smooth would be most helpful! Thank you!!

7 replies
idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 8

You can use a crusting buttercream recipe and then the Melvira method of smoothing it with Viva paper towels and a roller. I also like Italian Buttercream for smoothing with a spatula. For me, the hardest frosting to smooth is cream cheese.

momsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsgoodies Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 8

I agree with Idgalpal. You can avoid the sugar "granules" sifting the confectioner sugar first. HTH

Reyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 8

Sometimes it is not the 10X sugar, but is the salt...I take my salt and put it in my coffee grinder before measuring it...it is almost powder and not granular after grinding it...love the fact I have no 'pock marks' in my buttercream...I do not believe it is the 10X, but the salt.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 7:49am
post #6 of 8

BoLeggs79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BoLeggs79 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 9:52am
post #7 of 8

The 10X Dominios powder has changed, very grainy - even the store brands. I have switched to 6X Dom. Powder sugar along with High Ratio Shortening - and it has made a world of difference.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 7:53am
post #8 of 8

I personally don't like Domino sugar I only use C&H pure cane sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%