Can I Leave Fbc Unrefridgerated?

Decorating By Jess155 Updated 30 Jun 2011 , 4:10am by scp1127

Jess155 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess155 Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 8

So I know I can leave SMBC out for a few days, but what about French Buttercream? Here's the recipe I used. Thanks!

1.5 C sugar (345 g)
3/4 C whole milk (6 oz)
1.5 T all purpose flour
1 T vanilla ext (or any other flavor)
3 oz Heavy cream
1 1/4 lb butter (567 g)
1 T. pureed strawberries

Make a custard by heating sugar and milk in sauce pan over med heat until sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat and whisk in flour and vanilla. Let cool completely. (I pop it in the freezer for a few minutes covered with Saran wrap)
In mixing bowl add the custard, butter, strawberries, and cream. Beat on med speed until creamy. It may look soupy or curdled at first, but keep beating a good 10-12 minutes or even longer until smooth.

7 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 6:22am
post #2 of 8

That is not FBC, but it is also not a custard... which definitely needs refrigeration. FBC is similar to IMBC except it uses yolks. Custards have eggs. I personally would not leave out something with that much dairy in it. It does have sugar, but I don't think the ratio is high enough.

Jess155 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 8

I got it from this site and it was titled "French Buttercream", so I thought it was. I didn't get your reply until this morning, and I was going to throw away the rest of the cuppies anyway (I ate 8 yesterday -ugh!). But I did taste the frosting and it was just fine. It sat out for about 20 hours. Thanks for your reply!

scp1127 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 6:46pm
post #4 of 8

There are some past discussions on this site concerning FBC. It is the richest of the european buttercreams and well worth checking out. There are others on here that know the ratio of dairy to sugar better than I do. But I know the ones they consider safe are the ones with very little dairy to sugar. FBC is shelf stable for a few days due to the pasteurization of the eggs through the process. And custards with eggs are never stable. Yours is different from any I have seen. But I would treat it as a whipped cream frosting would be treated. Either serve cold or store in refrigerator until serving and let it come to room temp for 1/2 hr before serving. Hey, if you ate that many, it must have been really good no matter what category it falls under.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 8

This is a strange recipe - it's almost a crème anglaise, did you forget to list eggs on your recipe? If not, it's like a crème anglaise only using flour for a thickener instead of eggs. If you missed listing the eggs and it has eggs in it, it's a basic French pastry cream recipe with butter added to make it a buttercream. Hence, French.

J

Jess155 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 8

No, there were no eggs in the recipe. I added the strawberry puree, as I wanted it strawberry flavor. I found it on CC in the recipe section under "French" and it was titled "French buttercream". So silly me assumed it was! Well, whatever it was it was GOOD! It was really too buttery for my taste, but that didn't stop me. Good news, I ran 4.5 miles to undo some butter damage. icon_smile.gif

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 8:43pm
post #7 of 8

Oh, and I also think this is a s shelf stable as any meringue buttercream, the milk is pasteurized and the cream is ultra-pasteurized. But don't quote me.

scp1127 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 4:10am
post #8 of 8

FromScratch, I'm glad I was not the only one confused. I'm sure it is good, but I can't see how it thickens.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%