Cottage Food Law Quest.

Decorating By KMKakes Updated 25 Jun 2011 , 7:40pm by kelleym

KMKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMKakes Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 5

Outside of time itself, what type things must happen in order for a state to consider starting a bill for it? Should individuals consider a petition for it and etc.? I live in Alabama and is praying for the glorious day!

4 replies
Reganlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reganlynn Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 5

I'd like to know the answer to this to, I'm not in Alabama, I'm in Rhode Island and would love to have one here.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 5

The two biggest hurdles are getting the bill drafted and introduced in the state legislature, and once the bill is introduced getting enough votes to pass it. All it takes is one legislator who believes in your cause to get the ball rolling.

You can find out who your state representative is by doing a google search for "who is my state representative" and your state, one of the top results should help.

Here is Alabama as an example, the first result takes you to the relevant page:
http://www.google.com/search?num=20&hl=en&biw=1371&bih=654&q=who+is+my+state+representative+alabama&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 5
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 5

I will add more, based on my experience, and I hope that this information does not get "borrowed" to become a part of that link you just shared.

1. Become your state's leading expert on Cottage Food Laws across the country. You need to know what the regs in other states are, and be able to discuss them intelligently on the spur of the moment, whether it's to politicians, their aides, or the media.

2. Live close to the capital of your state, it helps to be able to make a lot of visits in person.

3. Be prepared to spend your own money. A lot. Printing and postage are not free.

4. Be prepared to do a lot alone. I frequently heard the sound of chirping crickets when I asked for help.

5. Be prepared for the fact that you will be the person who cares about the issue more than anyone else in your state. I had to live, breathe, and dream the cottage food law.

6. Be prepared for opposition, both outside and within your group of supporters. There is no bill that's going to make everyone happy.

Maybe in states smaller than Texas it's easier. But it took a toll on me personally, on my marriage, and on my family. Was it worth it? Of course. I would do it again. But it wasn't just a matter of starting a petition and a Facebook page.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%