Not White!

Baking By TinkerCakes Updated 25 Jun 2011 , 2:22pm by TinkerCakes

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 2:18am
post #1 of 8

I make MMF and use indydebis buttercream. I love both.... BUT I have found that although they look white, they are not. Once they are put near anything white you can tell a huge difference. I recently made my first 3 tier cake for a friend, buttercream with fondant accents....I made my friend buy a colored table cloth instead of a white one so it wouldn't be so noticable! Any ideas on what I can do? I did try adding wiltons white-white food coloring but it didn't seem to work. Like I said, I love both (and MMF is cheap to make!) so I want to continue using them. AND if I ever sell cakes, I can't force the customer to use a tablecloth I want...icon_smile.gif

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 2:27am
post #2 of 8

Meh, there are probably 40 shades of white. If you're doing wedding cakes, most of them are for evening weddings with candlelight which puts a golden glow to everything. I simply don't worry about it. I'm working in food, after all, not paint or fabric. It is what it is.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 2:27am
post #3 of 8

sugar craft sells pure titanium dioxide powder. It is just white white! I have added it to my MFF and it is awesome!

Of course there are people that say it MAY cause cancer, nothing conclusive, though....

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 2:34am
post #4 of 8

I think some people use butter without dye in their BC - does that sound right to anyone else? Or am I completely making it up?? I've never seen white butter before but I thought I've read somewhere about it in one of these threads?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 2:34am
post #5 of 8

You can add a few dots of violet and see if that helps, but truth of the matter is, sometimes you just get what you get.

White is probably the toughest "color" to match because true white is actually the absence of color. Everything we work with has some color to it.

Some white is bright and called a blue white. Some is duller and is a yellow white, etc., and put one up against the other and something doesn't look "white".

Not everything can be matched, only approximated.

If you break up the view by putting the cake on a board that isn't white, and raise it up off the cloth, any difference will be very hard to see.

Rae

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 3:49am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

If you break up the view by putting the cake on a board that isn't white, and raise it up off the cloth, any difference will be very hard to see.

Rae

Never thought about that with cakes...but it works with fashion...great advise!

thats2cute Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thats2cute Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 4:43am
post #7 of 8

I always add a few drops of Americolor's bright white to the MMF to make it whiter. At first I didn't think it was making a difference, but one time I only needed to use half the batch, so I only colored half the batch white. When I put the leftovers back in the container next to the other half that was not colored, it was a big difference between the two.

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 2:22pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you for the tips!!!

Yummy: indydebis BC doesn't have butter, but I have heard what you are talking about, white butter or whatever it's called! LOL!

Anna: It seems everything causes cancer these days! I'm still upset I can't use silver dragees....apparently those will kill us as well. UGH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%