Gumpaste Baby Mold In Gumpaste Rose

Decorating By jlcalvert Updated 30 Jun 2011 , 12:25pm by bobwonderbuns

jlcalvert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlcalvert Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 11

I am fairly new to this site and this is my first forum post. I have recently seen many cakes with the FirstImpressions Baby mold inside a gumpaste peony or rose. Can someone please give me a tutorial or advise on how to make the gumpaste rose? Cutters and how-to would be great.

All of you on this site are so very talented I would appreciate any help/advice you could give.

10 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 11

I've made a baby in a rose, but not with the baby mold. I think the principle would be the same though.

I use the Jem 110 mm rose cutter for the first couple of layers of petals, then switch to a circle cutter a little larger than the petals of the rose cutter. Cover the back of a bowl with foil, and dust with cornstarch. Cut the rose petals with the 110 mm cutter, thin the center out to bigger than you would for a regular rose. Frill and cup the petals, and lay it over the back of the bowl, facing down. Do another set of petals the same way, brush the center lightly with gum glue, and lay it on top of the first, with the petals arranged so they overlap the first set. Then just start making circle petals, frill and cup them, and attach the same way. You can use little wadded up balls of plastic wrap between the petals to make them dry in a more open position, just remember to remove them later. Once you've added enough petals, let your rose dry for about two days, then turn it over and see if it slips off the bowl easily. If not, unwrap the foil from the bowl and then gently peel the foil off the rose...but I never really have problems with it sticking.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 11

I have done several of those cakes:

The actual instructions for the petals are in the second or third video of this series.
I just "glued" the petals together with melted chocolate and secured them to a piece of round fondant cut slightly smaller than the finished rose.

Hope this helps.

jlcalvert Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 11

Thank you!!! I can't wait to try it!!!

jlcalvert Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 11

Hi "poohsmomma",
I am so glad you responded. Your cake is the one that got me interested in making this design. It is absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing your talent with newbies like me!!!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 11

Hi,here is a link to a great rose tutorial.hth

poohsmomma Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 9:13pm
post #7 of 11

Hey, jlcalvert,
I'm so pleased that you liked my cake, but I'm sure I saw one like it somewhere else; I can't claim it as mine.
Good luck with yours, and be sure to post pix.

Poohsmomma,
aka Helen Jo

jlcalvert Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 10:31pm
post #8 of 11

Okay, stupid question.....I'm working from the inside out or outside in. I think I'm confusing myself.

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 11:56am
post #9 of 11

I have the mold but never made the baby...your cake is lovely! can you tell me how you got the color of the baby so natural? truly gorgeous. Pat

poohsmomma Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 12:00pm
post #10 of 11

Sorry for the delay; I just saw your question
I work from the outside petals to the inside petals.
The color was just a touch of copper, shaded with pink luster dust.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 12:25pm
post #11 of 11

I'm soooo glad this came up, I have a baby in a rose topper for a cake due next week!! Thanks for the tips! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%